VMware Cloud Community
RichardSmith
Contributor
Contributor

MSCS cluster in a box upgrade from 2.5.x to 3.0.1

Hi,

We recently migrated 2 W2K3 VMs that were MS clustered on the same physical box from 2.5.3 to 3.0.1. Everything seem to go smooth and the cluster seemed to be working fine on 3.0.1.

However a few days in we started noticing a few issues with the cluster. Particually IO errors on the disk.

After doing a bit of investigating we realised that the cluster in a box (CIB) setup is different on 3.0.1 to 2.5.3. In that the boot volumes should be on local storage.

My question is this:

How do I go about moving only the boot disks off the SAN to the Local volumes. Keeping the shared disks on the VMFS3?

Is anything else I need to do in order to correctly configure the CIB on 3.01?

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can simply initiate a migrate of a machine (cold). Then you tell it to migrate to a different server (even though you can keep it on the same server) and it will prompt you for what you want to move.

Just move the local disk (using advanced) and keep the others where they are. Then it will move the disks you selected.

However if you have DRS enabled, you will get an error message, so you have to turn off DRS first, then migrate, then power on the VM, then turn DRS back on.

0 Kudos