VMware Cloud Community
pnicka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MSA1500 Configuration

We are implementing a new VMware installation that will utilize an HP MSA1500. For testing I have 2 ESX servers attached via fibre (through a switch) to the MSA1500 which has 1 LUN configured. I was able to add the storage to both ESX servers. However, only 1 can utilize the datastore. I created a VM (GUEST1) on the ESX server (HOST1) that can access the storage with no problem. When I browse the datastore from the other host (HOST2) I can not see the VM. The only tools that I have to configure the MSA1500 is the CLI. I obviously have something configured incorrectly, most likely on the MSA, but can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slawekb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

You have to grant access to all other hosts in MSA1500 controller in ACL table using CLI commands.

There have to be made a shared lun, so you have to make acl to all hosts thay can see the specified lun.

Try this:

show connections (you can show names and WWPNs)

add connection NAME WWNN=12345678-12345678 WWPN=12345678-12345678 profile=linux (gives name NAME to connection with HBA in the host with WWPN number)

add acl connection=NAME unit=# (gives ability to connection NAME to lun number #, besides "#" can be "all" and there be connection to all luns)

or

add acl WWPN=12345678-12345678 unit=# (gives rights to connect WWPN to lun #)

show connections (to veryfi)

Then in HOST2 try to do "rescan" in Storage in configuration. Then You can see tle LUN and VMFS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
slawekb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

You have to grant access to all other hosts in MSA1500 controller in ACL table using CLI commands.

There have to be made a shared lun, so you have to make acl to all hosts thay can see the specified lun.

Try this:

show connections (you can show names and WWPNs)

add connection NAME WWNN=12345678-12345678 WWPN=12345678-12345678 profile=linux (gives name NAME to connection with HBA in the host with WWPN number)

add acl connection=NAME unit=# (gives ability to connection NAME to lun number #, besides "#" can be "all" and there be connection to all luns)

or

add acl WWPN=12345678-12345678 unit=# (gives rights to connect WWPN to lun #)

show connections (to veryfi)

Then in HOST2 try to do "rescan" in Storage in configuration. Then You can see tle LUN and VMFS.

0 Kudos
pnicka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Because I only have 1 LUN. I do not need to create an ACL. I did however, add the WWN of each fibre card to the SAN and set the profile to LINUX. A resan allowed me to see the LUN but would not let me access it. I rebooted the MSA, fibre switches, and the servers (in that order) and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

P.

0 Kudos