VMware Cloud Community
migeauxy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MSA 1500 cs with VI3 Active Passive Configuration

Hi

I'm currently doing a new setup with 3 VI3.0.2 servers, connected to 2 SAN Switches ( HP 4/16 - "brocade switches" ) connected to an MSA 1500 CS ( active Passive ) controlling 2 SCSI enclosures.

I have a few issues regarding this configuration .

First Issue - switch zoning and redundancy

I did the configuration correctly at a switch point of view, but I cannot obtain redundancy on the paths to the MSA - I see only a single path to the Active controller - if I disconnect this path, the second path is never present. for it to apear, I have to remove the active controller so that the standby controller becomes active - then the second path is available - but there is disruption

Question is : do I have to make the MSA 1500CS active active ? or did I not do the things correctly.

second Issue : MSA disk configuration.

Using The Array Configfuration Utility installed on my ESX Servers, I cannot acces the controller(s) of the MSA 1500CS to be able to use SSP and ACL - I only see the local disk controller

I'm using latest version of HP management Agents and ACU, with Qlogic HBA.

Any ideas to help me ?

Thanks a lot to you all

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you attach a Windows server to the SAN and install ACU? If you cannot see the SCSI controllers of the SAN when connected via the ACU it will be your zoning.

As for your active/passive setup on your SAN you must make sure that ESX is set to Most Recently Used (MRU).

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rmielke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I actually have the exact same setup, with the exception of an additional Windows 2003 R2 server, running the ACU client. If I remember correctly (it's been a year or so since I set mine up), you have to connect to the SAN thru a Windows ACU client to setup SSP, as well as the redundancy for failover. I am still active-passive (though I'm thinking of going active-active), and failover has been seamless. I did have problems with failover before I setup the redundancy thru ACU (Windows) though.

If you search the forum, or the HP site, there's actually a best practices .pdf for ESX 3.x with all HP SANs. If you haven't seen it, it may be the best place to start.

Good luck!

Ryan

0 Kudos
troberts
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you post the output of your esxcfg-mpath -l? I'd like to see the multipathing.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you attach a Windows server to the SAN and install ACU? If you cannot see the SCSI controllers of the SAN when connected via the ACU it will be your zoning.

As for your active/passive setup on your SAN you must make sure that ESX is set to Most Recently Used (MRU).

Hope this helps

0 Kudos