VMware Cloud Community
kolev
Contributor
Contributor

MGE shutdown module on ESX 3.5

Hi,

I have a VI 2.5 and 3 host with ESX 3.5. I tried to install on the hosts mge shutdown module, but no success.

In the manual I found this...

download mge shutdown module from mge site nsm_linux_cli_3_xx_xx.run ,

copy to ESX host (with WinSCP for example) to /tmp directory,

logs to host (with putty) and add execution right to this file - chmod 755 nsm_linux_cli_3_xx_xx.run

After that install the package with command ./nsm_linux_cli_3_xx.run -install - silent

But after execution of this, I got the message from the hosts:

PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './php_domxml.so' - libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

What have to do to install this mge module...?

Thanks in advance!

Nikolay Kolev

0 Kudos
33 Replies
svrbokep
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nikolay,

do you have solution for this error ?

thx,

Lukas

0 Kudos
kolev
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet, Lukas.

I temporary resolve the problem with scripted shutdown to ESX hosts via managemet server...

I connected MGE UPS to management server (HP DL320) via serial port. The software which came with MGE (MGE Solution Pack) has a ability to execute the script before shutdown the management server.Te script is a simple bat file, where I use "plink" commands to shutdown the ESX hosts. Plink is small program like putty, but you can make a scripted commands like this

plink.exe -ssh -pw password -noagent -m commands.txt root@192.168.11.111,

where password is the root password on the host and into the text file commands.txt you can put the commands like "shutdown now"

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of the MGE NSM?

I installed it a couple of weeks ago on 3 ESX 3.5 hosts for a client, and they worked without a problem.

Just have to open the correct firewall ports (the documentation mentions 3, but there was a 4th required for correct communication with the UPS, i cannot remember exactly which at this moment)

The MGE site has 2 versions for linux, graphic and console version, be sure to take the console one.

The files are named exactly the same for both downloads, i noticed.

Edit:

Apparently the names are not the same one has 'cli' in it.

I should have documented that installation better, so i could remember what i did exactly to get it running.

Have you tried connecting to the web interface of NSM after the installation?

Message was edited by: patrickds

0 Kudos
dante_77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have the same problem.

I opened the 4 ports that documentation mention, but I have the same error.

It seems that the software is installed ok, but the service /etc /init.d/nsm-MGE does not start and gives the follow error.

PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './php_domxml.so' - libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Patrickd, Do not you remember what you did to install? What vmware release version do you have?

I have 3.5.0, 110268

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

just use VIMA and the script tha William Lam developed, you will only need 1 agent to shutdown all hosts:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/02/19/vima-and-the-ups-initiated-shutdown-the-lamw-version/

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

It's an MGE UPS, that script was written for APC's.

They use different ports and signalling i assume.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

It was a 3.5 U3, all patches installed up to february 2009.

As far as i can remember i just followed the procedure for the installation, and it worked.

After a reboot the software no longer connected to the ups.

So i did some searching, opened another firewall port and all was well.

I'll have to check if i've written anything down.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

oops sorry, I assumed that now that it's one company apc / mge they would merge the software as well... sorry,

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
pauska
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone get this working? I'm struggling with the exact same issue, running ESX 3.5 U3.. I hope I don't have to upgrade to ESX 4.0 just to get the UPS working.

0 Kudos
plosky
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the same problem whit ESX 3.5 U3. Anybody can help me?

0 Kudos
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It maybe a path issue both with your system and php.

Check your system path and the location of the library

Look for a php.ini and uncomment the appropriate extension lines if needed or fix the path

extension=php_domxml

modify php.ini to look for extensions in the path directory

extension_dir=yourpath

0 Kudos
DavideDG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same issue here (ESX 3.5 update 4 with an MGE UPS MX5000 pulsar).

I have 2 solutions, one of them tested and working, the other ... I just tested in lab :smileygrin:

solution 1: use an earlier version of NSM. I used this package: nsm_linux_cli_3_10_06.run I think it's on MGE ftp archives (PM me if you need, I should have a copy of it).

--- just note that the default credentials for the NSM agent for older versions is: user=MGEUPS pass=MGEUPS

solution 2: latest version of NSM (nsm_linux_cli_3_20_05.run) is mis-package, imho.

If you "ldd" on php_domxml.so you find out that there are some missing libraries: libgcrypt.so.1, which in turn depends on libgpg-error.so.0

I searched on for these libraries and found them (advanced search - search for RHEL 3 packages, x86 only).

Instead of installing the rpms (I hate to "taint" the SC!), I extracted the RPM cpio/gz archive and just copied those libraries into /usr/local/EATON/NetworkShutdownModule/bin/webserver/bin/

Then I manually created the symlinks in that directory:

ln -s libgcrypt.so.11.4.3 libgcrypt.so.11

ln -s libgpg-error.so.0.4.0 libgpg-error.so.0

It didn't complain anymore about missing libraries and correctly works on port 4679

For both solutions, you'll still need to open the needed ports on your ESX firewall:

esxcfg-firewall -o 80,tcp,out,"MGE NMS Port 80"

esxcfg-firewall -o 4679,tcp,in,"MGE NMS Port 4679"

esxcfg-firewall -o 4680,tcp,in,"MGE NMS Port 4680"

esxcfg-firewall -o 5000,tcp,in,"MGE NMS Port 5000 IN"

esxcfg-firewall -o 5000,tcp,out,"MGE NMS Port 5000 OUT"

Hope This Helps :smileygrin:

Davide DG - VCP 3.5

========================================================================= Davide DG - VCP 3.5/4.0
0 Kudos
plosky
Contributor
Contributor

i try to find nsm_linux_cli_3_20_05.run but on theMGE site it's only version 3.04. Where can i find lastest version?

Thx

0 Kudos
DavideDG
Contributor
Contributor

I arrived to that url via the EATON site:

HTH :smileygrin:

Davide DG - VCP 3.5

========================================================================= Davide DG - VCP 3.5/4.0
0 Kudos
plosky
Contributor
Contributor

i find it thx

i am not so good with linux so what you mean with

" If you "ldd" on php_domxml.so you find out that there are some missing

libraries: libgcrypt.so.1, which in turn depends on libgpg-error.so.0"

0 Kudos
DavideDG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

ldd prints the shared libraries required by each program or shared library specified on the command line.

That is, ldd was the diagnostic command I used to find out which other libraries were really required by the library php_domxml.so (ie: you won't need to use it!)

Those libraries were not included in the MGE package (I still think they did not check very well before publishing it!).

Since the Service Console for ESX 3.5 is a modified version of Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (RHEL 3), you can find those very old libraries on rpmbone:

Once you have downloaded them, you may upload them to the ESX server and then install it like a normal rpm file (rpm -ivh rpmfilename.rpm)

BUT, as I told, I really hate blindly installing any rpm in my Service Consoles.

Instead, what I suggest is manually extracting the needed files from the rpm files and put them in the correct location.

To accomplish this, you will need to decompress the .rpm file into a ".cpio.gz" file, which in turn will need to be decompressed into a ".cpio", which eventually will give you a directory structure like this:

/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.4.3 and a softlink libgcrypt.so.11

To decompress them, you can use a free utility like 7-zip on a Windows machine.

When you have these 2 files : libgcrypt.so.11.4.3 and libgpg-error.so.0.4.0

upload them (via SCP) to the ESX server and place them under:

/usr/local/EATON/NetworkShutdownModule/bin/webserver/bin/

then login into the service console (as root) and type these commands:

cd /usr/local/EATON/NetworkShutdownModule/bin/webserver/bin/

ln -s libgcrypt.so.11.4.3 libgcrypt.so.11

ln -s libgpg-error.so.0.4.0 libgpg-error.so.0

Remember to open the needed ESX firewall ports (see my first post - ignore what the documentation says, you will really need port 5000 too!!) and then restart the MGE daemon:

/etc/init.d/mge-nsm restart

Then point your browser to or

and configure it.

Hope you can work it out now :smileygrin:

I think I really deserve some points now :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

Davide DG - VCP 3.5

0 Kudos
plosky
Contributor
Contributor

Thx very much it help me and it's working.

Thx for your time.

0 Kudos
plosky
Contributor
Contributor

You have 5 stars and i can give you a another 5 stars if you can help me again Smiley Happy

Program is running but comunication between UPS and server (hp ML 350) its broken. Anyidea where can be the problem?

I try whit USB cable and whit serial cable.

When i use USB cable sever write this: usb_coontrol/bulk_msg: timeout

0 Kudos
DavideDG
Contributor
Contributor

Mmm..

I thought you needed help for the NSM (Network Shutdown Module), which is, afaik, needed for a server to be correctly shut down via tcp/ip (and not USB).

I mean, with a MGE MX Pulsar (latest I installed was a MX 5000), you configure an IP address on the ethernet interface of the UPS; then install the NSM agent on all the protected servers and configure these NSM agents to communicate (via IP) with the UPS.

If you want to connect the UPS via USB/serial cable...:

- you can protect just 1 server

- I don't think NSM is the correct software

I don't know which piece of software is needed on the ESX to communicate via USB/serial ...

If your UPS did not come with an ethernet interface, you still can use NSM in this configuration:

- 1 Windows Server with the "NMP" (Network Management Proxy):http://download.mgeops.com/explore/eng/network/nmp_en.htm

this server will act as a proxy between NSM agents and the UPS.

- various servers (ESX or not), with installed NSM agent, all pointing to the NMP proxy.

Please refer to http://download.mgeops.com/install/win32/nsm/nsm_user_guide_en_35.pdf

HTH.

Davide DG - VCP 3.5

0 Kudos