VMware Cloud Community
VirtualNinja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MACs

How can I set a fixed MAC address on my VM? I have software that requires this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here's what I have documented, two ways to do this...

How can I set a static MAC address for my VM?

This is useful for software that is licensed by the MAC address of the server it is running on or if you migrate a physical server to virtual and want to keep the same MAC address. A VM’s MAC address will change if the location of the VM changes, ie. different path on the same host. During a hot migration (Vmotion) the location of the VM does not change, this is also true of a VM that changes hosts due to HA/DRS migration. During a cold migration the location of the VM does change so the MAC address of the VM will change.

MAC addresses are hex values and consist of six groups of hex numbers. The first 3 octets of the MAC address is a unique code assigned to each NIC vendor, this is also called the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI), VMware’s OUI is “00:50:56”. The last 3 octets are assigned to all of the NIC’s for that vendor. Each MAC address must be unique to avoid conflicts with other network devices. You do not have to use the Vmware assigned range (00:50:56) for your NIC’s. If you are coming from a physical server you can use the previous NIC’s range instead, (ie. HP/Compaq NIC’s use 00:08:02) as the first 3 octets. Just make sure the physical NIC and virtual NIC with the same MAC address are not active on the same physical network at the same time. There are several methods for setting a static MAC address on a VM which are listed below. If you use the first method you must stay inside Vmware’s allowed MAC addresses (00:50:56:00:00:00 – 00:50:56:3F:FF:FF) or the VM will not start

Editing the VMX file of the VM:

• Edit the VMX file of the VM

• Change the following line from ethernetN.addressType="vpx" to ethernetN.addressType="static" (N is the number of your ethernet adapter, usually 0)

• Next change the line “ethernetN.GeneratedAddress” to “ethernetN.address” and then change the current MAC address to “00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ” (again N is the number of your ethernet adapter and XX is a valid hex number between 00 and 3F, and YY and ZZ are valid hex numbers between 00 and FF. The value for XX must not be greater than 3F in order to avoid conflict with MAC addresses that are generated by the VMware Workstation and VMware GSX Server products.)

• Power your VM back on. Login to the OS, go to the CMD prompt and type “ipconfig /all”, your manually assigned MAC address should be listed for the NIC that you changed

Setting the NIC properties in Windows

• Edit the Local Area Connection propeties for the NIC you want to change

• Click the Configure button next to the NIC name

• On the Advanced tab select NetworkAddress

• In the Value field enter a new value for the MAC address, enter only numbers or letters, no spaces, dashes or colons. This MAC address can be any valid hex numbers between 00 and FF for any of the octets

• Click OK and that’s it, the new MAC address takes effect immediately and will override any MAC address set by Vmware

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here's what I have documented, two ways to do this...

How can I set a static MAC address for my VM?

This is useful for software that is licensed by the MAC address of the server it is running on or if you migrate a physical server to virtual and want to keep the same MAC address. A VM’s MAC address will change if the location of the VM changes, ie. different path on the same host. During a hot migration (Vmotion) the location of the VM does not change, this is also true of a VM that changes hosts due to HA/DRS migration. During a cold migration the location of the VM does change so the MAC address of the VM will change.

MAC addresses are hex values and consist of six groups of hex numbers. The first 3 octets of the MAC address is a unique code assigned to each NIC vendor, this is also called the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI), VMware’s OUI is “00:50:56”. The last 3 octets are assigned to all of the NIC’s for that vendor. Each MAC address must be unique to avoid conflicts with other network devices. You do not have to use the Vmware assigned range (00:50:56) for your NIC’s. If you are coming from a physical server you can use the previous NIC’s range instead, (ie. HP/Compaq NIC’s use 00:08:02) as the first 3 octets. Just make sure the physical NIC and virtual NIC with the same MAC address are not active on the same physical network at the same time. There are several methods for setting a static MAC address on a VM which are listed below. If you use the first method you must stay inside Vmware’s allowed MAC addresses (00:50:56:00:00:00 – 00:50:56:3F:FF:FF) or the VM will not start

Editing the VMX file of the VM:

• Edit the VMX file of the VM

• Change the following line from ethernetN.addressType="vpx" to ethernetN.addressType="static" (N is the number of your ethernet adapter, usually 0)

• Next change the line “ethernetN.GeneratedAddress” to “ethernetN.address” and then change the current MAC address to “00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ” (again N is the number of your ethernet adapter and XX is a valid hex number between 00 and 3F, and YY and ZZ are valid hex numbers between 00 and FF. The value for XX must not be greater than 3F in order to avoid conflict with MAC addresses that are generated by the VMware Workstation and VMware GSX Server products.)

• Power your VM back on. Login to the OS, go to the CMD prompt and type “ipconfig /all”, your manually assigned MAC address should be listed for the NIC that you changed

Setting the NIC properties in Windows

• Edit the Local Area Connection propeties for the NIC you want to change

• Click the Configure button next to the NIC name

• On the Advanced tab select NetworkAddress

• In the Value field enter a new value for the MAC address, enter only numbers or letters, no spaces, dashes or colons. This MAC address can be any valid hex numbers between 00 and FF for any of the octets

• Click OK and that’s it, the new MAC address takes effect immediately and will override any MAC address set by Vmware

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

0 Kudos
VirtualNinja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So no matter what physical NIC is used on the ESX server my VM MAC will stay the same?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, each VM has their own unique MAC address that is independent of the ESX servers physical NICs.

If you want to learn more about networking check these out...

VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_vlan_wp.pdf

Networking Virtual Machines - http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/TAC9689-A.pdf

Networking Scenarios & Troubleshooting - http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/tac9689-b.pdf

ESX3 Networking Internals - http://www.vmware-tsx.com/download.php?asset_id=41

VirtualNinja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Ninja grateful

0 Kudos
ShaneD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the post on changing MAC Addresses. Once the config file is modified and VM is powered back on, I ran into a snag where it seems that the config file modifications don't take into effect. Is there anything else that needs to be done to apply the new file settings ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://www.run-virtual.com/?page_id=173

You need this tool to make things a lot easier.

There is only a certain range you can use for MAC, that you can apply static address, otherwise, the MAC is generated by the VI console, and not the ESX server.

So if you changed the MAC address, it may have changed it back when the VM was powered on, because it may have been outside the allowable range.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you edit the VMX file again are your changes still there? Did you use a valid MAC address (0-9 and a-f). Also if you do the editing of the vmx file method you must stay inside Vmware’s allowed MAC address range(00:50:56:00:00:00 – 00:50:56:3F:FF:FF). If you can post your vmx file I can check it out for you.

0 Kudos
JuanOrtega2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esiebert,

I tried the process you outlined by changing the NIC properties in Windows and found that if I set the MAC address outside the VMWare range the network connection would not work - the VM would not connect to the internet.

My impression from your description was that I should be able to set any MAC address I want using this method. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which VMware product are you using?

0 Kudos
JuanOrtega2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 5.5.1

0 Kudos
JuanOrtega2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops

I didnt even notice the forum title as I'd entered through a search result.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The MAC address stays within the VMware product range by design. You can try to spoof the MAC address inside the Guest OS. That can be done either by setting the address in the virtual NIC or a registry hack, depending on which OS you have.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem, I've only tested and done this with ESX, I'm not sure how it works with Workstation. If you start a thread in the Workstation forum the guys over there can probably help you out.

0 Kudos