VMware Cloud Community
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MAC Address Change using Clone Option

I have a server sitting on an ESX test Server with local storage.

When I use the clone option and move it to another ESX environment, the MAC address for my NIC changes.

Is there anyway to make it stay the same?

Thanks

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since a MAC address is generated automatically if it is not hard coded - the only way to keep it the same would be to hard code it in the vmx file -

Of course this begs the question why do you want to do this?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since a MAC address is generated automatically if it is not hard coded - the only way to keep it the same would be to hard code it in the vmx file -

Of course this begs the question why do you want to do this?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As David alluded to, the fact that the MAC address changes when you clone the VM is a feature that is included by design. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of VMs that have exactly the same MAC address, and that's really, really bad if you want your network to function correctly.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

good point nick -

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a License File using the MAC address of the VM. The VM was in my ESX Test Environment and want to move it to my Production ESX environment.

The application on the server will not work if I clone (MAC address will change) and I cant use VMotion.

0 Kudos
Thiago_Moreira
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can power up machine on test environment and get correct mac address.

After that, shutdown machine on production environment, edit settings and on network option, define manually mac address.

But remember that these machines cannot be powered on at same time. And probably you will need clean your arp tables on several devices.

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried that.

I get "The MAC Address entered is not in the valid range. Valid values are between 00:50:56:00:00:00 and 00:50:56:3f:ff:ff

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The ranges that are valid for the automatically generated and the manully assigned MAC addresses are no longer in the same pool. They used to be and there was the potential of assigning a MAC address and then having it also generated. Therefore they are on in two diffrent ranges.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This can also be done from within the VM at an OS level.

From "Local Area Connection Properties" click on "Configure">"Advanced">"NetworkAddress" and enter in your MAC address. This is for Windows 2003, it may be different for other Windows version.

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That separation is the problem. We have VMs that require specific MAC addresses - cloning may simply be a way of saving old versions for backup purposes or to do a compare with.

Changing the MAC on the Guest OS level is dangerous - it could impact how the VM bridges network traffic.

I would preferred a warning - something that could be overwritten instead of an absolute denial.

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard coding the MAC address into the VMX file seemed to do the trick.

Thank you all for responses!

0 Kudos
tallsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard Coding the MAC address into the VMX file is not working in ESX 3.5 update 3

The VM fails to start with error message:

00:0C:29:87:71:86 is not an allowed static Ethernet address

Invalid MAC address specified.

Failed to configure ehternet0

Any functional workaround would be appreciated.

This is breaking one of my licensing servers for an unrelated engineering application, Flexnet related.

Changing MAC in OS does not fix it. Flexnet detects the "actual" MAC.

Sure I could update the licenses, but I don't want to be faced with the prospect of having to do so everytime VMWare decides they're going to change allowable MAC ranges.

I licensed the damn thing to a VMware MAC address specifically to avoid this issue. BOO!

0 Kudos
lnxnut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Were you able to resolve this?

I am having the same issue with one of my servers.

I am unable to export and then port back in because of this error "The MAC Address entered is not in the valid range. Valid values are between 00:50:56:00:00:00 and 00:50:56:3f:ff:ff"

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

in the .VMX file, you can manually change the MAC address. That is what worked for me.

0 Kudos
rmray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The reason it is not taking is due to VMware is no longer supporting ANY MAC Address outside the range of values are between "00:50:56:00:00:00 and 00:50:56:3f:ff:ff"

The .VMX file WILL NOT allow you to hard code anything outside of this range. You will have to get a new license file for your application.

That Said.... when you generate a New MAC address

Hard Code the new MAC address in to the .VMX file. Go and get your new license file based on that new hard coded MAC address.

VMware does not guarantee you will get the same MAC address on your next reboot so Hard Code it.

0 Kudos