VMware Cloud Community
gopherhockey
Contributor
Contributor

Low Cost ESX 3.5 System - Suggestions?

For training purposes, I would like to put together a Vmware ESX 3.5 compatible computer to use in a lab environment. Something that can still run 3-4 systems, but also something that is not expensive.

To test with Windows 2008 Hyper-V it took about $550 on newegg.com and I have a solid lab box that can run 4-5 systems easily. Plenty to train on and practice.

With Vmware ESX its more confusing. First, the dual-CPU requirement seems to force me into server class motherboards. I think there are some motherboards meant for home systems that could pull it off. My guess is it will have to be Intel EM64T compatible (in order to run 64-bit hosts) as I'm having a hard time finding dual-CPU mothersboard that run AMD Athlon X2 type processors (something in the $140 range per processor)

I figure someone here has had probably done the same. I have an old Dell server that can run ESX, but its huge, slow, only has 3GB ram and while it has dual CPU its not 64-bit compatible.

Has anyone been able to put together a dual-CPU system for at or around $600?

So far it looks like the majority of my training will remain on Hyper-V. A nice product actually. Good thing they support Single CPU.

0 Kudos
116 Replies
gopherhockey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VJ,

Tell you the truth I ended up going Windows 2008 with Hyper-V. I played around with ESX but if it is going to be that difficult to get going its not worth the trouble other than for educational purposes (i.e. job training) I got ESX running on an old Dell server, could never get the license files to take, then ended up shutting it off.

Its my hope Microsoft eventually makes a decent run at VMWare, but for corporate use I'd bet ESX will be on top for a long while.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

I gues this is were all the other vendors get it wrong. MS make things a lot easier to install, and work around. I invest about $750 on same kit as you hoping that you would have got it working. Did manage to get adaptec 2940 and 3 scsi disks. Memory didnt arrive over the weekend so will wait till next to give it a go. Will be looking @ MS Hyper -v too. Will let you know how this goes, as you say for the knowledge it might be good to get it working

0 Kudos
deneshkanna
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there ,

Even im looking for a PC/Server to test drive the ESX 3.5 .. As some of the other members were taking abt to install these on to a desktop machine which works well with upto 4Vms hz sounds g8 for a newbie so i just searched around ebay and found these 2 products can any one tell me which 1 to go with

1. HP DL360 G3

2. HP Compaq D530 P4 HT

Im a bit confused which shld i go for... and can any one please let me know which can i got for and which looks like working in an easy way of start...

Thanks in advance

Denesh

0 Kudos
jonasb
Contributor
Contributor

According to the Compatibility Guide , ESX 3.5 will work with DL360 G3 so I would go for that one.

Have in min that lots of memory could be expensive for older servers so make sure to check that.

0 Kudos
jonasb
Contributor
Contributor

I would go for the DL360 G3 since it's supported in the Systems Compatiblity guide for ESX 3.5.

0 Kudos
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've just validated that I can install VMware ESX 3.5.0 (Build 64607), ESX 3i installable (Build 67921) and ESX 3i installable (Build 70348) on a Tyan K8WE (Thunder S2895) workstation using only the integrated NV RAID as the storage adapter.

The Tyan K8WE (Thunder S2895) has two AMD Opteron 270, 8GB and a single 750GB SATA drive (configured as Spanning volume in the NV RAID). It's using BIOS 1.05.

Regards,

Erik

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos
deneshkanna
Contributor
Contributor

Cool Joasb, I think as u said i might go for the DL360 G3 for the test.. yea as u said the Ram alone costs me very high £200 for a gig umm. Since its new for me to work with ESX im going to use the Trail license do we have any restrictions in it .. Can i use it with no problems? Thanks dude

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When you install ESX you'll have a 60 day trial period with no functional limitations. One downside with the HP is that an old processor may not have Intel VT in which case you won't be able to run 64 bit VMs. Here's a list of whiteboxes that have been found to work with ESX 3.5 / 3i - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm.

0 Kudos
deneshkanna
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daveand others,

Thanks for the List of Whiteboxes i have changed my mind to go for the HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Intel Xeon 5335 Quad Core / 2GB which is = £899.99 ex VAT but im not use if this server has Intel VT Support do u think does it has Intel VT and Im planning to run Win2003 and Exchange 2003 and 2007 well the Exchange 2007 its recommended to use the 64bit but im not use does this server 64bit.... And i got an other question if u dont mind ....

i got his new quote from Vmware

VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 processors - SnS is required. Includes ESX Server 3i or ESX Server, VC Agent, VMFS, VSMP, Update Manager, and CB = £ 502.00

But the DL 360 g5 is a Single CPU server can i use this license for 2 CPU for a phycially 1 CPU Server, will it accept and what is " SnS is required " ? and will i get ESX 3.5 along ??

Thanks

Denesh - London

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi , wasnt ableto get our kit working. The software would not install, keeps going into dos mode. Not quite sure why, even after adding adaptec 2940 and 3 scsi disks, no way. Maybe the board is not supported. So I have kind of given up on using it, will reserve it for ms hyper -v or make it a iscsi target server.

So guys what do I need to get the ml115 working? got an extra 2940 with 2 36gb drives. Hope this would resolve the sata issue. this whole setup thing is driving me mad

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to add to the list that I also successfully installed ESX 3.5 straight out of the box on a HP DC7600 Desktop PC.

Hardware Model

HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor PC

Mainboard Model

HP 09F8h

Mainboard Chipset

Intel i945G/GZ

Mainboard Southbridge

Intel 82801GB (ICH7)

Mainboard Bios

HP 786D1 v01.59

CPU

Intel Pentium 4 640 Processor (3.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) HT. Socket LGA775

RAM

4 GB DDR2 PC2-4200 (266 Mhz)

NIC

Broadcom 5752 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Video

Intel 82945G Integrated

Disk

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160828AS (160 GB - SATA)

CD/DVD

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-H10N (48x read/write. DVD Read only)

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have to do any special config to get the system to boot after installation? I am quite happy investing another £300 if the system will install ok.

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No special config was needed. It booted right after.

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi

I have the same board, and the same CPU working just fine

I have used a IDE disk to hold the VMware, and a SATA disk to hold the VMs with the ESX 3.5

I even tested with the SATA first, and work

JailBreak

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

So I guess the following will work then

HP dc7700/ Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/ 1GB RAM/ 160GB HDD/ CD-RW/ DVD-ROM Combo Drive/ 3 YR OS Warranty/ XP Pro/ Small Form

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't think so. If you check rpartmann's post on the first page in this thread the DC7700 didnt detect the internal drive as SATA.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

OK. I will stick to the dc7600. A bit pricey though, sure you can get a server for that price that works as well. We have a 4day holiday coming up, would like to get a system in before then. so I can have it setup.

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could go for a HP d530 or DC7100 as well. They are not that expensive on ebay etc.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

I will see whats out there. thanks

0 Kudos
paulo_meireles

I recently bought a HP dc7700 and an HP P400 Array Controller (both on eBay), which allowed me to mirror two disks.

They work very well together, and I expect the P400 to last a few years and a couple of machine upgrades.

The dc7700's integrated NIC works well and supports VLANs but, unfortunately, I couldn't make it work at gigabit speed... Smiley Sad

Paulo

0 Kudos