VMware Cloud Community
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Lost of the VMFS partitions ....after a format/install

Hello

I'm just new here...

My esx admin is in vacation and I think I made a big mistake ...

we have a esx 3.5 ( not esxi )

after a power issue, the esx restarted, but I had no more management network working ( vm were started and working no issues )

I was able from the console to ping the IP , but nothing remotetly.

I gave a call to my esx manager and he told me to reinstall esx , as it is a known issue on our old server,

Thing that I missed, is that there was no difference for me between esx and esxi

I download the esxi and resintalled it

the problem is that now I have a nice formated partition with an esxi running, but no more vmfs partition available as esxi reformated everything

Here is for the story

Does anyone knows how I can recover the old vmfs ? at least transfer the files to another hosts and reinstall again ... Just to save the VMs ??

Thx in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would file an SR and call VMware support. Don't do anything that could endanger things further.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Problem, this is an old one, we don't bought the support for the 3.5 ...

Only for the 4.0 ...

we were planning to migrate the VM between Xmas and 31st...

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Thread moved to ESX 3.5 forum, after duplicate post and a discussion with the OP.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would still make the call.

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

I did, this is how I learned that we did not renew the support for the old VM Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would pay the per incident fee if you can't come up with some other way to include this host in your current contract.

0 Kudos