VMware Cloud Community
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor

Lost Root Password - reset instructions bring me to Login

I have unfortunately lost my root password and as my virtual center server is a vm on my host and my VM's are not avaialble I need to login as root. I found several articles on how to reset the password, but none of them work for me.

1. I tried, rebooting server (hard reset), at boot menu, typed "a" and then at prompt typed space "single". after an extended period (looks like normal boot up) I end up at the windows to type alt f1 to login to console and alt-f11 to come back to this screen. if I type alt-f1 I am at the login prompt.

2. I tried, choosing the troubleshooting option, which according to a couple posts I found googling should take me to a prompt, where I can type "single" and end up at a prompt where I can type passwrd, but no, I end up at a login prompt again.

what am I doing wrong, or is there a better reset password instruction set.

ESX 3.5 update 2.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What you describe is the way to change the password - at boot menu type a then type single - here is alink tot he steps wth pictures -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor

yes, but that is the problem, when I follow the instructions, I don't end up at a prompt, I end up at a request for login, and as i don't know the root password, i can get past it. I should be ending up at a prompt, where I can change the password. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The instructions are very clear and very straight forward.

Typing the "a" does give me a prompt where I can type 'single' , but then it goes through all of its checks (which are all "ok") and then ends at the same screen I would get to if I had just allowed it to boot normally (use a web browser to connect using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; or type alt-f1 to go to console and alt-fll to come back to this screen" but if I type alt-f1 I am at a login request.

0 Kudos
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to reset the root password.

hard reboot, at menu select service console only type "a" then at command line I deleted all of the letters following the mem = xxxM so that the line was GUID mem=xxxM single

Don't know what command options the letters were designating or why they were present on my command line, but this allowed me to boot to a bash prompt, enter passwd and reset my root.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thank you for sharing, this is what makes this communitity one of the best around

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos