VMware Cloud Community
sgorham
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for processor information

Hi everyone. My first post here.. Great source of information.

I am going crazy in my new company trying to figure out the environment. I am working on a project to buy 4 new servers to incorporate into our esx environment as well as upgrade everything from 2.5.3 to 3.5.. My problem is that no one has records of the esx server specs. Some may be 32bit processors and some may be 64. I have checked the /proc/cpuinfo and dont see anything right off the bat that would tell me if it is 32vs64 bit. Is there a way via the console to find this out?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The best thing to do is is get the serial number off the units, then call the vendor, some have their info online. This way you make sure there are no mistakes.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

try uname -m ( m means print the machine hardware ), this may work.

if it comes back i386 or i686 then it is 32 bit, if it shows x86_64 then 64bit.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

That doesn't work. ESX is a 32-bit Linux environment first of all.

And secondly, I did try, but my ESX hosts are ALL 64-bit, but they are reporting as i686, which by your info is wrong. So, this was helpful, but it's not accurate.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I did some searching, and I found configuration / processor info in VIC shows the processor, but on a couple of my hosts, it didn't show, which is weird,

But you can tell from the Intel/AMD processor type if it will support 64-bit by visting either of those home pages.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ok, my mistake, like I said it may work, knew it was a good linux command but not totally sure inside the esx console. thanks for the clarification

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

use cat /pro/cpuinfo to get the model # of the processor, then plug it into intel's processor finder utility:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

NOT via the console: on your ESX cd, there is a cpu-info.iso file. Burn a cd of this and boot from it. It will tell all cpu info and what it is capable of. Be sure to bring pen and paper Smiley Happy

But, its not what you asked for because you have to reboot the host.

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
sgorham
Contributor
Contributor

Matt - When I check /proc/cpuinfo I get the following

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 15

model : 4

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.66GHz

stepping : 9

cpu MHz : 3669.905

cache size : 1024 KB

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 5

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm lm

bogomips : 7313.81

Doesnt give me anything to plug into that link.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

That's what I get for thinking on vacation. Lemme investigate today

and get back to you.

On Jan 2, 2008, at 5:03 AM, Thalador <communities-emailer@vmware.com

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos