VMware Cloud Community
charney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Live Migration to new LUN with ESX 3.02

knowing that d-motion is available for a 2.5x to 3.0.x migration, am I making a leap of faith here to think there there may actually be a script all ready written that would perform a d-motion from one san to another if both sans are seen by the same ESX host? If so, can any one point me in the direction of that script so that I can migrate off of our storage that is coming off lease?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Dmotion currently is not available for ESX3 to ESX3 migrations.

There are rumors that it will be available in the next ESX release.

For now you have to shut down the VMs and do a cold migration or transfer the files manually.

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

platespin will do v2v live transfer of data. However you will need to withstand a couple of reboots.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe you can also use Converter to try and do the conversion as well although I am not positive. that would work just like dmotion.

0 Kudos
zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you will need to shut down the VM and do a cold migration and in the migration move it's vmdks a well

as far as i know there is no way to do it without a reboot

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe you can also use Converter to try and do

the conversion as well although I am not positive.

that would work just like dmotion.

That doesn't work just like vmotion. When you start converter at time t0 it takes a snapshot of your machine, everything from time t0 is backed up. When the conversion process ends at t1, and you can roughly estimate about 1min/gig of time necessary to transfer the data from the target VM, any data that changed between time t0 and t1 is not captured. dmotion will keep the 2 VMs consistent so that when the changeover from the source to target happens there will be the same data on both VMs. dMotion is vMotion without the shared storage requirement.

charney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have read that this feature will be in a further release, however, there has to be a script some where in the distro, since it worked in the 2.5.x to the 3.0.x upgrade. I just can not find it. I once heard that there was an engineer back in palo alto that was playing around with a script and stumbled upon this. I have roughly 4TB of VMDK's to move and really do not want to take an outage for each one.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I migrated San to San last, I used ESX Replicator to do my VM's.

It still needed a quick outage for the reboot, but I didn't have to reconfigure anything and it worked well enough when doing a few VM's at a time.

Reasonably priced for the time savings as well...

0 Kudos