VMware Cloud Community
morrighu
Contributor
Contributor

Linux and Smart Phone Client Availablity

I use Linux as my desktop OS because I need it.   I'd manage it from my phone or my tablet (both are Android) but there doesn't seem to be a good app for that either.  Even though there are a lot of third party apps that will let me do limited sets of things from my phone or tablet. And that doesn't count the people asking for the OSX version of a client.  Or one for the iPhones.

FYI, your web-based client really rather sucks.  It lacks a LOT in functionality.  And frankly, I don't understand why you don't upgrade that because that - IMHO - is ultimately the answer to all of this.  Get busy with Jquery mobile and make a mobile interface for it that looks and works well on smaller displays.  Beef up the web interface to let me do everything I can do from the Windows GUI.  But that's not the case... The current web client is limited in functionality and very clunky to use.

What does that leave me with? As of now, I am stuck maintaining a Windows machine simply to run the client to manage the VM's.  I hate it.  It's slow and it's annoying.   And it drives the TCO of your product up even more.

I also see a lot of posts around here - and not just in the free produt forums - from people asking for the same things.  So far, the only answer i've seen given is that "It doesn't exsit.  Too bad for you."   Quite frankly, I find that sort of attitude disturbing.  One, your product is hideously expensive.  Two, there are a lot of companies and open source projects that can match your feature set.  And not just some small shops either but companies like Oracle.  That means that if you're going to remain viable as a company, you need to start listening to your customers.  You need to start giving us what we are asking you for instead of what you want us to have.

Here's my dilemma with you all.  Yes, we have a lot of money invested in your products.  You really ought to be thinking about is what I'm going to recommend to my boss when your licenses come up for renewal.  Do we stay with your products and continue to invest in a company that may well not exist because you seem more than willing to ignore your customers?  Or do we take our business elsewhere?  To a lower cost platform? Or at least one that's more accomodating?

That said, I've not been able to find a deb or rpm even though the exe is widely available.  Is there a package and i'm just missing it?  Or does it simply not exist?  And what about the smart phone apps?  I don't mean some silly thing to let me access a Windows desktop that runs your full-fledged client.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
msatya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you checked phone manufacture website ?

-------------------------
please award points if you see fit.Thanks

http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos