VMware Cloud Community
silicoon
Contributor
Contributor

Linux VMs from Intel to AMD - SRM

Hi guys

Basically what is planned is to have a prod environment with new quad Intels and a DR environment with dualcore amd's

Majority of the environment is linux ( suse )

Now i know about the cpu issues with both cold / hot migrations but has there been any changes in this?

We are going to be using SRM to manage failover etc but im just trying to figure out if its a feasible option to get some new intel servers or not ( from what i can see im guessing not )

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

there has been no change in the migration between AMD and Intel - you can only cold migrate-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No changes indeed, just straight on cold migration. So failover from intel to amd with SRM shouldn't be a problem.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
silicoon
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that because of the way that Linux discovers CPU type and features that your not even able to do cold migration? Supposibly tv kernel just panics...

0 Kudos