VMware Cloud Community
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limit on Local Storage?

Does ESX 3.5 have a limit on the amount of local storage that is reconized as a single LUN? I just installed esx onto a server with 850gb volume using the default partitioning layout.

When I connected through the VI client I was informed that a datastore would need to be created?! Never seen that before, of course doing so removed all existing partitions /var, swap, boot, root, etc

Ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The configuration maximums document makes no reference to this.

It just shows a 2TB VMFS 3 volume size maximum.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that info. I was trying to access the documentation but have been receiving a timeout error when i try and download any of the pdf's.

Any ideas on why the default partitioning layout would have required creating a datastore for the vm's?

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've never had that happened to me personally before.

During the install, was the host connected to a SAN with any VMFS volumes visible?

The installation guides states :-

"A VMFS partition is required. However, VMFS partitions do not need to be located on a local or boot drive.

VMFS partitions can be located on a:

+ Local SCSI volume+

+ Networked SCSI volume+

+ SAN"+

I'm wondering if the installer see a VMFS volume on the SAN, it doesn't create one locally? - just a thought, and probably wrong...

CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It should have seen the local vmfs volume since it was specified during installation. The volume is a local direct attached scsi volume of internal disks.

0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reinstalled and did not have this problem the second time. I am attributing it to the fact that i installed through a drac card with the media mounted virtually. i walked to the other building, dropped a cd in the physical drive and reinstalled. Looks normal this time.

0 Kudos