VMware Cloud Community
Brandon7a
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licenses issue when upgrading vcenter 2.5 to 5.0

I have 4 ESX host that are running 3.5 update 5. I just upgraded vcenter from 2.5 to 5.0. One of my ESX host still contains the old licenses server. I try to change it to the correct server but I get the Unable to change licenses server error. I also could not ping the license server from that host. I notice that out of my 4 host, that host was the only server where DNS was not configured. I configured DSN and I can now ping the licenses server but I still can not change it. From the console I did a restart network service hoping that would clear DNS.

From the client I go to Administration - vCenter Server Settings and the Licenses option is setup correctly. Any reason why it changed on my other 3 host but not this one?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are going to have to mainrain a license server until you can upgrade your ESX hosts to ESXi 5 - and remember there is noe ESX in vSphere 5 so you will have to reinstall to ESXi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are going to have to mainrain a license server until you can upgrade your ESX hosts to ESXi 5 - and remember there is noe ESX in vSphere 5 so you will have to reinstall to ESXi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Brandon7a
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is correct.  I plan on leaving my vcenter 5.0 server a licenses server until I upgrade to ESX 5.0i. I resolved the host issue I was having with the licenses server. I rebooted the host and it came back up with the correct server.

0 Kudos