VMware Cloud Community
rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

License for VI/ VC/ ESX

Hi,

I have been puzzled with the following scenario. I use an evaluation version of Virtual Center Server and Virtual Infrastructure Client . And my ESX 3.5 hosts are the release version of 3.5 (not the updates).

Now what I want to understand better is -

1. I know that I need licenses for my Virtual Center Server and VI client.

2. But do I need a license for ESX hosts I have?

I am asking Q(2) because when I connect to same host using VI clients in two different systems (installed on different times), I see same "x(days) left before expiry" for the same ESX host. I thought "x" days is for the VI client and not for ESX hosts. I can explain this better if I confused any one.

Why is this? Do the ESX hosts need license too?

Or is the license (say for VI client) is for a "VI Client - ESX host" pair?

~rajkn
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes ESX servers need license as well - you can set them up to run with eval licenses as well - there really is no license needed for the VI client - you need licenses for VC, the ESX hosts and for add ons like vmotion, vmware drs, vmware ha, VUM, etc

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes ESX servers need license as well - you can set them up to run with eval licenses as well - there really is no license needed for the VI client - you need licenses for VC, the ESX hosts and for add ons like vmotion, vmware drs, vmware ha, VUM, etc

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tell me a little more about it.

I have been provided VI client license for single host (just 1 license) and VC server license to update my environment. Based on what you are saying, updating these two software licenses are not enough? I still need to get licenses for every ESX hosts I have?

Is there some documentation you can recommend?

~rajkn
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should be abel to find all the documentation you need here:

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks,

Read your comment once more and tried out the license and it seems to work. And here is how I understand it now. You don't need a license for VI client. The licenses are for ESX host and VC server (plus additional features you want to use like VMotion). When I update Single host license through VI client, I am actually updating the license on the ESX host to which I am connected, not the VI client.

~rajkn
0 Kudos
ukranid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys!

It is maybe stupid question but how do I update ESXi 4.0 license?

I don't see this option anywhere in Vi Client or ESXi 4.0 host.

Tim.

0 Kudos