VMware Cloud Community
bahmanj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License Server

We are evaluating VMWare infrastructure. Have ESX 3.0.1 and virtual center evaluation copies and have installed them, but do not know where to find VMWare-licenseserver.exe?

How do I get that?

Thanks

Bahman Jalali (B.J.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Net1Pro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is part of the VMware Virtual Center. The eval you have of Virtual Center should have it .

Look in the "bin" folder of the CD and you'll see it there.

Or, you can run autorun from the CD and it will give you the option to install by component.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it is in the autorun of virtualcenter

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's part of the VirtualCenter installation, run the autorun and you should get a menu to choose to install it. Or you can browse the directories to find the install file for it, it's bin\VMware-licenseserver.exe

Net1Pro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is part of the VMware Virtual Center. The eval you have of Virtual Center should have it .

Look in the "bin" folder of the CD and you'll see it there.

Or, you can run autorun from the CD and it will give you the option to install by component.

0 Kudos
bahmanj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not see a separate bin directory or licenseserver.exe file. I got the eval package from VMWare and unzipped it. Then installed VirtualCenter Server...Maybe it just installs it by default..

How can I make sure my license server is already installed? And if it is already there, when do I tell the LicenseServer where the license files are and stuff?

B.J.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On your VC server go to Start, All Programs, VMware and you should have a License Server folder. Open the License Server Tools application. On the Config Services tab you can tell it the path to the license file. There should also be a VMware License Server service in the list of all services for the server.

0 Kudos
bahmanj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no LicenseServer directory...I should probbaly uninstall and install VirtualCenter server again. Maybe I missed something...It only gave me two options to install. Server or client and I installed server only and not the client...Do I need to install that too?

B.J.

0 Kudos
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

be sure to have the virtualcenter management server for Virtual Infrastructure 3.

http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VC202

0 Kudos
bahmanj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That must be it....I am not sure what happened, but the version I downloaded before was 1.4 and now I am downloading 2.0.2 which seems to be the right one...

Thanks a lot...

BJ

0 Kudos
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yeah, that's it. Version 1.4 is for VMware Server, not ESX server.

Good luck !

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VC 1.4 is also for ESX 2.x

0 Kudos