VMware Cloud Community
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

License Keys and VMotion

So, we are getting ready to move from a standalone ESX3 environment to a full VI3 environment with 8 host servers. So, no USB support has prompted me to look into Digi's Anywhere USB[/b] in order to provide the license keys to the VM. We like that solution because we then don't have to go and switch keys around hosts when a VM is HA'd or VMotioned.

I'm looking to do the same thing with the HASP4 parallel port keys I have. It looks like I can use Digi's Edgeport/21[/b] connected to a Anywhere USB[/b] to provide the same functionality. We currently have a parallel card in all of our hosts, but when the VM is HA'd or VMotioned, we will have to run into the datacenter and switch the HASP keys between the different hosts. That could get to be a real pain in the you know what at 3am.

I was wondering if anyone else has faced the same situation and could offer their insight on this, or if people think I'm off my rocker and should go suck on a lollipop for a while.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Fink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tib,

I almost did that for a client of mine, but they were able to get the SW vendor to change the licensing for them (they were a very big client) so they did not have to do it.

From what I learned, these devices create a virtual USB port on the server, and then encapsulate the USB traffic in IP packets to talk back to the physical device (much like iSCSI encapsulates SCSI traffic in IP packets).

So, unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you other then it should work, and your not off your rocker. If you go forward with the configuration, or if anyone else has, please post up the hardware that you use to make it work, as well as any tweaks/changes you had to make. I am sure that information will be helpful to others.

0 Kudos
Woodward
Contributor
Contributor

I just sent back my Digi Edgeport21. Unfortunately, like most of these devices, it creates a special parallel "printer port". Which would work just fine if you wanted to print to the silly thing, but the programs that talk to the security dongles seem to be very specific in their need to talk to the actual LPT1. I also found and purchased the SYBA USB to parallel port cable (SY-USB-P). This one had me excited for a while, since it actually installs under COM & LPT ports as LPT1 or LPT2. But no matter what I tried, I was unable to get the program to recognize the attached dongle. I suspect it has something to do with the hardware address it's using, or perhaps it's just not a true bi-directional EPP port emulation.

If you (or anyone else) finds a solution to providing access to these types of legacy parallel port dongles, I'm all ears.

Side note - VMware may specifically mention the Digi Anywhere USB, but IMHO there is a better (and cheaper) alternative. I have several of the Keyspan USB Servers (US-4A www.keyspan.com) I can't recommend these units highly enough. The early versions occasionally had disconnect issues, but the newer ones with the latest software and firmware support compound devices, allow you to dedicate devices on individual ports to specific servers, and even have security features that allow you to set connection passwords for the devices (and lock out changes to the Keyspan server itself...). Working great for a half-dozen USB type dongles and even a serial port dongle (through the CablestoGo USB serial converter cable)

0 Kudos
jjmc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woodward.

Do you have more information about the Keyspan USB servers? Cost, how you conneted it with your VMs / ESX Server? Have you tried it with an LPT dongle and usb to LPT cable, etc.

Thanks!

0 Kudos