VMware Cloud Community
dwharam
Contributor
Contributor

Legato 7.3 & ESX 3.0.1

I have completed the install of legato client 7.3 onto a dev server for ESX 3.0.1. That was fairly straight forward. I did install the networker-add patch from vmwarecom as well. Kinda had to.

When trying to connect to either the nwbackup or nwrecover utilities on the esx server from my PC, using Exceed as my X-windows applicaiton. I am getting this error:

/usr/bin/nwrecover: error while loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

This file is definately not on the esx server.

Did something go wrong with the install? Anybody ever seen this?

thanks

D.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try to use save[/b] command, or if you want you can use vmbk 3.0 http://www.vmts.net/vmbk3.htm

Massimiliano Daneri

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ive never used Exceed so i cant be 100% how it works, but the problem will be related to X not being installed on the ESX host. NWRECOVER will be calling libXmu.so.6 and failing.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
jlnelson7613
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone tell me what the networker-add patch is and how to get it? I have an EMC consultant onsite this week and he is clueless on how to load Networker v7.3 on ESX v3.0.1 and get it to work without disabling the whole firewall function.

Thank you

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok you need to go here and get the backup enabler for legato networker

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/drivers_tools.html

This will fix the dependancy errors that you would receive if you install the Networker client without this add on. Just download it and folllow the instructions.

Once thats installed, use winscp to copy the networker linux tar file to say /vmimages, untar it using tar -zxvf packagename.tar.gz and then install the rpm package using rpm -ivh packagename.rpm and thats about it. check to make sure that networker is running by typing ps -ef |grep nsrexecd from the console.

As for the firewall you need to edit the file /etc/vmware/firewall/services.xml

The main thing to remember is NOT to create a backup of the xml file in the same directory as this will break esx and you will loose connection from Virtual Center. If you want to make a backup of the file backup to say /home using cp /etc/vmware/firewall/services.xml /home

The following is from another post.

The following XML was added to the services.xml file

Take a copy and proceed with caution. This resolves the issue but is likely to be broken again if patches / updates replace this file.

All the usual caveats apply - use at your own risk / discretion.

then;

service mgmt-vmware restart

esxcfg-firewall --enableService networker

esxcfg-firewall --query

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos