VMware Cloud Community
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LaCie 5big RAID storage possible for iSCSI storage of ESX3.5?

Hi there,

I am new to iSCSI. So this may be just a very simple question. I have got a LaCie 5big RAID storage (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11481) server and wondering if it is possible to hook it up with my ESX3.5 server and use it as a VMFS storage? It says that this LaCie supports iSCSI, but I couldn't get it work with ESX server. My ESX server can't discover it. Do I need another server to present it? Am I missing something?

Much appreciated,

EH

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi EH,

As long as your NAS is iSCSI capable for Linux boxes, it should work for ESX. If I remember correctly, you need to have a vmkernel and a system console port on the storage network for the ESX being able to connect the storage. Check that iSCSI client is enabled and that the firewall allows iSCSI communication. Also take care not to present LUNs bigger than 2TB. Have a look at the iSCSI SAN Configuration Guide.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
AlexTheBoss
Contributor
Contributor

Also, don't forget to look at the logs on your storage device. I just purchased a Synology RS409 and I had a problem with my ESXi servers discovering it. Looking in the storage device log files I found CHAP authentication errors. I turned CHAP off and it worked fine (not an ideal solution but it told me what the problem was).

0 Kudos