VMware Cloud Community
ltfields
Contributor
Contributor

LUNs invisible to second ESX server and access denied?

Here's my scenario

SAN - 4 Lefthand Networks NSM150s with latest F/W (6.6 w/patch)

Hosts - 2 HP BL460c blades with ESX 3.0.1 installed using SW iscsi driver

Blade 1 sees all my LUNs and has a number of VMs hooked up and running just fine

Blade 2 sees no LUNs even though both blades are on the volume list for the LUNs and Authentication groups are set up correctly (CHAP is off)

I've done a number of rescans through both the VI client and SSH, and everything seems like it should work. When I started troubleshooting this last month (before getting sidetracked onto another project), I recalled a log file I could access on the 2nd Blade that showed "Access Denied" errors when trying to get the target list from the Lefthand VIP.

I've checked the VMkernel LOG file and it does not include that information. Should I try to turn logging up there or is there any other iSCSI log files on an ESX server? Also, is there a log file on the NSMs I should look for? I'll also ping the Lefthand folks to see if they have information I can post here...

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomekA
Contributor
Contributor

Some time ago I also has problem with LUN visibility.

In my case the problem was in LUN IDs. A LUN on SAN has to be presented with the same ID for every ESX host.

I found some other solutions/workaround on the network, but in my case it was the easiest and best solution.

Of course it does not explain the access denied error. But I thought that this information may be useful for you.

Regrdas,

Tomek A.

ltfields
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out I had the Software iSCSI initiator mis-configured. I cleared it up and both ESX servers were able to see the LUNs.

0 Kudos