VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

LUN Reconfigure

I know this is dangerous, but my Lun is much smaller than the Volume. Also my used space within the LUN is only 50%.

I have an 800g LUN, on a 1.7 TB Volume, so I want to reduce the size of both so I am not wasting space.

I want to know if this is prudent (even though risky) to even attempt.

I get this message:

"Size Update: Reducing the size of a LUN may

result in data corruption. Use 'lun resize'

on the command line to reduce the size of the LUN."

But I did some reading and according to the Netapp Documentation and other things I have read, data corruption is only an issue when the disk space get's low.

I didn't setup the LUN with space guarantee (which is what started all this) and I want to fix it. So I figure if I make the LUN closer to the actual usage, I should be fine.

Is this a true statement? Or do I have to basically scrap the LUN and start over?

I basically want to create the LUN as 800G, set the space to reserved, and then recreate another LUN on the same Volume.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you reduce the lun size from the netapp you will corrupt your vmfs file system

if the lun is not space reserved and your using data ontap from version 7 or newer and if your volume is flexible that you can reduce the volume size up to 800gb

but if all you want is to use space reservation for your lun i believe that this can be done from your netapp

try to search in now website

interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok i did the search for you

lun set reservation lun_path \[ enable | disable ]

Enables or disables the space reservation on the LUN. If no arguments are supplied after the lun_path, then the space reservation status of the given lun_path is displayed

i'm curious to know how do you plan to take consistent snapshot of the lun ?

0 Kudos