VMware Cloud Community
jf2000
Contributor
Contributor

LUN Offset on one PATH and fixing it.

I have an issue where our SAN engineer offset one of the FA paths (EMC Symetrix), but not the other path. They have figured out they do not need to offset at all and can assign the LUN IDs through whatever tool they use. So what I want to do is the following:

1. disable the one path that is offset for the 11 ESX 3.0.2 hosts that are running in the clustered environment. the other path will not be altered.

2. SAN team remove offset and re assign the LUNs w/ the proper LUN IDs.

3. Rescan hosts and all is well?

I am assuming #3 will not be the case and that the LUNs will resignature themselves and this will lead them to be seen as snapshots? Does this sound like the case as I am looking for a confirmation of this before I have to go through and power down 65 VMs and proceed w/ KB article 9453805. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I have an issue where our SAN engineer offset one of the FA paths (EMC Symetrix), but not the other path. They have figured out they do not need to offset at all and can assign the LUN IDs through whatever tool they use. So what I want to do is the following:

1. disable the one path that is offset for the 11 ESX 3.0.2 hosts that are running in the clustered environment. the other path will not be altered.

If the mentioned path is active then I wouldn't disable the path but disconnect cable from the proper hba - that forces path failover (I assume your multipathing works right for now)

1. SAN team remove offset and re assign the LUNs w/ the proper LUN IDs.

and the same SP as before

1. Rescan hosts and all is well?

and then not rescan but first connect the cable again and check the multipathing (it should return) and rescanning when needed.

In that case I wouldn't expect any problems with resignature.