VMware Cloud Community
xtiva2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LAN IP Address change

Hi guys,

We are moving from IP address subnet to a complete new IP address subnet for our whole LAN which our VMWare and SAN resides. Our VI holds, Domain controller, DNS, DHCP and WINS server but we have other backup DNS WINS and domain controllers from other site.

I am familiar with ESX host IP address change part of this project as I have learnt this hardway..:)

Now with my limited knowledge on SAN, this project look a lot more complex then what I first thought.

If I change the IP address of SAN's SP, would our ESX host lose connectivity to SAN storage when my understanding is that ESX access the SAN storage via fabric network?

Or

If I change the IP address of host, would it lose connectivity to SAN storage?

Lastly, below is the steps that I am thinking of doing this project and was hoping if someone could comment on this.

1. Change SAN IP address to new IP address use DNS server from other site

2. Change ESX Host IP address to new IP address, use DNS server from other site

3. Change Fibre Switch IP address

3. Change router IP address

4. Change Domain Controller which has DNS server IP address

5. Change SAN IP DNS server to our DNS server

6. Change ESX host IP address to our DNS server

During steps 1 to 3, I can have all my VM's shutdown but would it necessary to have it shutdown? Our ESX server is configured so that even if it is not able to ping default gateway, VM will not shutdown but I am a bit worried that ESX will not be able to access SAN storage.

Thanks and await for your comment on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you are accessing it by fiber channel you don't need to be worried - just changind the administration IP's does not affect the connections, as ESX don't use Ethernet to connect to it. Only if you were using iSCSI this would be a problem.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you are accessing it by fiber channel you don't need to be worried - just changind the administration IP's does not affect the connections, as ESX don't use Ethernet to connect to it. Only if you were using iSCSI this would be a problem.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
xtiva2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks for your reply on this.

0 Kudos