VMware Cloud Community
gertvangorp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kickstart - FTP issues on cisco switch with trunk and native vlan

Hi,

I am setting up an unattended installation at a clients site but I am have problems connecting to the FTP server from my new esx servers that I want to install.

Configuratio:

• AHP C3000 Enclosure with some HP BL 465c g1 blades. the have 2 onboard NIC's and 2NIC's via the mezzanine board, soe 4 NIC ports in total. all 4 broadcom.

• In the Enclosure there are 2 cisco 3020 swichtes that have a singel uplink to the customers network. The uplink is trunked.

• The connection of the blades to the 2 cisco switches is also trunked but with a native VLAN because we need the native VLAN for the Service Console.

• A FTP server that is accessable with the config files ans installation media.

The problem whe have is following:

When we start the "small" ESX boot.iso" and enter the following command : esx ip=y.y.y.y netmask=255.255.252.0 gateway=y.Y.Y.Y.1 ksdevice=eth0 method=FTP whe get the error message cannot login in to the ftp server

we also see that the blade is not pingable, if we press ok it fails again and fall back in to the std installation, and now the blade is pingable.

When whe change the cisco 3020 portconfig that there is only the native vlan (and not the trunk and native vlan) the install works like a champ.

Any ideas????

please help.

Gert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you post your 3020 conifg? Sounds like the installation may be grabbing the first onboard NIC which maybe confirgured differently. Also, I know that on the HP C7000 series chassis that when you have a mezzanine installed it backplanes into a different Interconnect Bay than what the integrated hardware backplanes into. For example, we have BL480c servers with 4 onboard which backplanes into ICB # 1 & 2, a dual-port Emulex LPe1105 mezzanine-1 which backplanes into ICB # 4 & 5 and a dual-port broadcom mezzanine-2 that backplanes into ICB # 6 & 7. So if I want network connectivity to my broadcom mezzanines I need to populate ICB # 6 & 7 with either a Cisco 3020 or some other networking ICB device. I am pretty sure that the same backplane topology applies with the C3000 series chassis.

0 Kudos
gertvangorp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi CiscoKid,

I the C3000 you only have 4 bays. The connection now is that the onboard broadcom nics are connected to port 1 on the each cisco 3020 switch in the blade enclosure. The mezzanine broadcom cards are connected to port 9 on each cisco switch.

Port 1 has a native vlan of 100 and is trunked (defaul all trunks that are commin trhough via the uplink (which is also trunked). port 9 has a native VLAN of 1 and is also trunked.

We are sure this setup is working after a manual installation of ESX via the CDROM.

We want to setup our server via a FTP kickstart install (to make it a little quicker, and easier for the end customer)

The cisco config I cannot post now because I am working offlline (no connection to the cusomers site) maybe monday.

Gert

0 Kudos
stinger2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you manage to resolve this issue? I am having similiar probs you were having...

Stinger

0 Kudos