VMware Cloud Community
bluebull2rhyme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues after upgrading from ESX 3.5 U3 to U4 - Did any of you stuck with this?

Hi All,

I faced this issue after i upgraded my ESX from 3.5 U3 to U4 on 4 hosts servers.Did any of you faced this issue before or is this common with this release?Comments appreciated.

Once the servers are upgraded...When looked at Network adapters,on couple VMNIC the 'Observerd IP ranges' were not listed,To confirm and cross check the traffic i looked at Cisco discovery Protocal(CDP)...it was empty with no information - So I could confirm there was no traffic on the NICS.

As a work around tried setting the VMNIC to AUTO negotiate(the VMNIC connected to 1000MB full) the Observed IP ranges gets filled in,then I set the VMICS to 1000MB Full ( this was was the original setting)..then everything went on fine after this...(Due to this issue i had some outages on Virtual Machines out of network and when tried rebooting it the machines are back in NW).

If you find this useful,award me Helpful or Correct answer
0 Kudos
5 Replies
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

That used to be the case in ESX 2.5 when you had to trip NIC from 100MB and Auto and then bring it back to 100MB. However, I upgraded few ESX 3.5 from U3 to U4 using update manager and haven't faced any issues up till now.

Cheers,

Kamal

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Remember the observed IP ranges are not direct result of ESX talking to the cisco switch to determine what is available on the interface. It is produced by ESX watching traffic as it goes through on the line to figure out what VLANs/networks are available there. If you have your nic to 1000/Full to begin with, is that the same setting you have on your physical switch? If you force speed/duplex settings, it has to be set at both ends.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to ESX 3.5 forum.

Best regards, Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst[/url]
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
bluebull2rhyme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both at Switch and NIC cards the speed set is 1000/Full

If you find this useful,award me Helpful or Correct answer
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did you check errors on the switch? Did you notice the communication loss as the server was coming up? How long was it down? It seems like the switch did not activate the port right away? Do you have portfast enabled on the switch (assuming cisco switch here)?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos