VMware Cloud Community
hawkeye21112
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with adding SAN storage

I not sure what is going on but I had two LUNs on my 3.01 ESX host machine and accidentally removed both and now I'm trying add them back in. I am having problems detect the LUNs so I can't add any new LUNs. I get and "Timed out waiting for the server response" error. On the storage adaptor I can see the connects to all the LUNs but when I try add storage it will not detect any of them. I did a reset on the box and it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

When you say you removed them, how..? was it with VC..? Havent actually done it through VC for a long time, im fiarly sure its does a delete (i hope im wrong..!!)

Message was edited by:

acr

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I thought id test, so i created a VM on a blank LUN, removed the LUN from VC and it deleted my VM...???

You'd need to reformat the LUN to bring it back..?

0 Kudos
samugi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to do a rescan on the storage adapters and select 'scan for new VMFS volumes' if the LUNS you removed had VMFS volumes on there already this should re-detect them.

hawkeye21112
Contributor
Contributor

I did a rescan and stuff. In the storage adapters it see the paths to all the LUNs, but when I go to Storage to add the LUNs it can not detect any of them and gives me the error "Timed out waiting for the server response".

I tried disable all connections to the SAN and rescaning and then re-enabling the connections and doing a scan. The paths come back up but it I still can't add it in the storage part.

0 Kudos
hawkeye21112
Contributor
Contributor

I had to shutdown the SAN connection over night and reboot the server in the morning and rescan for connections. I guess the VC cached the LUN information or something but after doing this all my LUNs came up but I did have to recreate my partition. Thank you everyone who gave suggestion.

0 Kudos