VMware Cloud Community
estebs1978
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with ESX 3.5 update 3 and Dell OpenManage 5.4.0 and Dell 5.5.0 (OM_5.4.0_ManNode_A01.tar.gz and OM_5.5.0_ManNode_A00.tar.gz)

Hello world,

Recently I ran into a problem with ESX 3.5 update 3 and Dell OpenManage (Dell OM). After loading ESX 3.5 version, I would attempt to load Dell OM (both 5.4.0 and 5.5.0). When I would build ANY host with ESX 3.5 update 3, every time I tried to install Dell OM it would fail. I tried everything under the sun to get this to work and after three days of work I called Dell and VMWare support. Dell's support was not helpful since all they could tell me was to download the Dell OM 5.5.0. What I did next was to call VMWare and raise a flag of a possible bug with ESX 3.5 update 3 and Dell OM.

I just received a call from VMWare's support (great engineer the guy I am working with) and he verified that I was not crazy and that this is not yet supported.

The only way I could make this work is by scrubbing the host, loading ESX 3.5 update 1, loading Dell OM 5.5.0 (it would work without a problem) and then upgrading the host ESX 3.5 update 3.

I wanted to share this with the community so if there is someone else out there having this issue, call VMWare and let them know and you now have a work around.

Cheers!

Esteban Blanco, MCP, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Nice (but sad) find.

I use 5.4.0 with ESX 3.5.3, but it vwas installed at U1 level & then ESX was patched to U3

As you said, this way works fine

Seb

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I use 5.4.0 with ESX 3.5.3, but it vwas installed at U1 level & then ESX was patched to U3

Me too. No problems here. this must be isolated, because the Dell open manage rarely has issues of any kind. It's solid software.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

What I did next was to call VMWare and raise a flag of a possible bug with ESX 3.5 update 3 and Dell OM.

I don't think you can call this a bug. We have about 15 Dell Servers, never once did I have trouble like this. Did you upgrade ESX from a previous version? upgrade between major versions sometimes causes these issues, but overall it's better to install a fresh version of ESX. I mix it up to see what kind of issues people are having, but mostly Dell Open manage is probably the most stable management software there is. It's at least as good as others, but very rare forum reports of Dell Open manage having issues. The biggest issue people have is that you can't install it on ESX 3i.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use 5.4.0 - but as you read it slowly I done U1 OM install U3 upgrade

Which is exactly what first post confirmed anyway, works fine

But install on U3 seems not to (I can not yet check, but will buid ESX 3.5 U3 just to test it this week

Seb

0 Kudos
estebs1978
Contributor
Contributor

RParker,

That is what I said, POSSIBLE bug. I am not claiming that I found a bug but a possible bug. You bring up a great point. Dell OM is an incredible and very stable management tool. I tried this on 5 servers with brand new installations. I was not loading 3.5 update 3 as an upgrade BUT a brand new installation on brand new 2950 servers (and one 2650). This issue happened to me on all five installations. I verified with both Dell and VMWare (through Webex sessions) that I was loading everything correctly and also that I was installing Dell OM correctly. Again, these were brand new installations. Both Dell and VMWare agreed with me that this is an issue. I thought I would just pass this along to everyone so in case they ran into this problem, they would know a work around until and expert like you or an engineer at VMWare can give us specific instructions of where to get the download for Dell OM that would be "compatible" (from Dell's website. NOTE: I know where to get the downloads Smiley Happy ) with ESX 3.5 update 3 and how to install it in case the installation order changes.

I appreciate your input.

Regards,

0 Kudos