VMware Cloud Community
psyolent
Contributor
Contributor

Issue trying to vMotion from one host to others...

Folks

Small problem

I've got 6 x Vi3.5 hosts in a cluster build 110268 (so not quite u2)

vMotion has worked without a problem of late, however, some recent problems with VCB have had me moving things around and restarting hosts due to full /var/core (core dumps) (known problem)

I've one host which has 29 VM's on it running quite happliy, however when i click on configuration/networking i get NO info populated.

When I check esxcfg-switch -l - all the networking info is there and fine

The summary tab is complaining about the HA agent having an error (which is strange as I disabled it in the cluster today - again -due to HA issues and VCB)

My main cause of concern as I'd ideally like to fresh start this host, is that I cannot vMotion anything OFF of it., I get an error stating vMotion interface VMkernel on the source host abcd.efgh.ikjl does not have any operational physical network connections.

I havent quite seen this before, any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Start out by issuing the following command in the service console:

service mgmt-vmware restart

This will restart the virtual center agent on the ESX server and hopefully then you can go into configuration and networking.

Let me know if it works

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
psyolent
Contributor
Contributor

It turned out that the esx.conf file had been corrupted on this host.

We managed to build a new esx.conf file from comparing the others on our other hosts and building a new one with the respective unique information (WWN's, MACs ect) and all works fine now.

A quick service mgmt-vmware restart and I'm vMotioning again.

0 Kudos