VMware Cloud Community
Len_H
Contributor
Contributor

Issue downloading .vmdk file from data store

I have a virtual DB server that I need to download the files that make up this server. I have successfully downloaded all the files with the exception of a 314 gig .vmdk file that fails. This image has 3 .vmdk files, a 30 gig C:, and two 314 gig .vmdk files that are the 😧 and E: drives of this system. Both have the following names; systemname_1.vmdk and systemname_2.vmdk. The error that I get is on systemname_1.vmdk and reads "unexpected end of stream". This has failed numerous times and fails at different amounts of the image sixe. The best is did was 74 gig, then failed.

All of these files live on the same datastore and it is a local store not SAN disk. This datastore does hold other virtual machines and I have successfully downloaded those files.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Len

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried using VMware Conveter to get the files? Or something like FastSCP of WinSCP?

0 Kudos
Len_H
Contributor
Contributor

I have used the Vmware Converter to do a P2V but not sure how you would use this to get files. Could you give me an example? I have not used either of these programs but will be looking into them.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

your destination, using Converter, would be a virtual appliance.

0 Kudos
Len_H
Contributor
Contributor

Understood, but I only need the 314 gig .vmdk file.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are you trying to download this .vmdk in question while connected to vCenter and then browsing the datastore, or are you connected directly to the ESX Host and downloading it that way?

try an SCP client and see if that will help.

0 Kudos
Len_H
Contributor
Contributor

I am connected to the vCenter when browsing the datastore to download this .vmdk file. Haven't tried connecting directly to the Host.

I will try that and I am also looking into the FastSCP program.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, trying to download the file from the ESX host itself may be result in success.

0 Kudos
Len_H
Contributor
Contributor

FastSCP program got the file that was failing.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad to see you got it resolved!

0 Kudos