VMware Cloud Community
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue adding host and/or server based license file to new server

Hello all,

I currently have 15 hosts running in an ESX environment, with VC and a license server.

I am running a test and have both a server and a host based evaluation license file from vmware. I am trying to add this host to virtual center, and then apply the host based license file. However, when I try to add the new server to VC, I get the "Connection Failed: Not enough CPU licenses" error.

I tried logging into the server directly from the VC client, and was able to add the license file there, but still can't add it to virtual center.

When I add the incremental info. to the license server file, re-read the license file and go to virtual center, it resets all my available and used license counts. is this normal? My servers still show as licensed, but the used license count doesn't take this into consideration...do the servers need to re-hit the license server?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In VC you need to repoint the ESX servers to the licence server. If this doesn't help you need to stop and restart the licence service on the licence server.

0 Kudos
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can't have a host based license to connect your Hosts in Virtual Center, you need a server based license. You need to register the license and make sure you get a server based license. You may need to contact the sales dept and have them reissue the license again.

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Tim, but I've seen that before...if you take a look at it:

"Although you can run both host-based and server-based licenses in the same environment, this is not a typical scenario for most sites."

I don't see why there would be an issue with me adding a server using a host based license, to Virtual Center. Please correct me if I am not reading the above statement correctly.

0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me clear up my original post...I DO have both the host based and server based license file.

I can add the server to VC by using the server based license file, but since this is a test, I'd rather just use the host base license file.

The 2 issues I run into are:

1. Using server based file, when applied, the available amount of licenses to use resets to the same number as the total available licenses...as if none of my existing servers are licensed. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything with these, or will that clear itself up? I will try stopping the license server and then restarting it.

2. Using host based file, I am not able to add to VC. I see the above post saying that's because its not possible, but reading the license file document, I understand that you can. I need more clarification here if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve this is how I set up the licence's in our environment.

I have 2 hosts (on VC) with prod vms which are on server based licence's

I then have 1 host (not on VC) which is used for testing and dev that is on a host licence. This seems to work fine

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve

After doing some more work on this the only reason that I don't put the dev test server with host licence on VC is because I am only licensed for 2 machines. I do believe that if I had another VC licence I should be able to put that Host based machine on VC. These are the log entry's on the licence server.

8:58:31 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_ESXHOST" SYSTEM@Earth (2 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

8:58:31 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "VC_ESXHOST" (185F 26CC D859 2290 ) SYSTEM@Earth (2 licenses) (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

8:58:31 (VMWARELM) DENIED: "VC_ESXHOST" SYSTEM@Earth (2 licenses) (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))

Not sure if the UNSUPPORTED reference is relevant

Message was edited by:

timw18

0 Kudos