VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any way to extend a VMFS Volume ?

We are migrating the SAN to a new one. According to DELL Engineer, during SANCopy, we can expand the size of LUN in the new Storage Array. For Windows Server, we can use the command diskpart.exe to extend the partition.

I just wonder if the LUN that contains the VMFS is extended, is there any way to extend the VMFS volume size ? OR we can only create another VMFS volume ? Is there any size if we extend the VMFS size (if possible) ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

You can not extend a VMFS volume that way but you can create another VMFS partition from the increased space and combine the 2 VMFS partitions to make a VMFS extent but you will find a vocal group of people here on the forums that would recommend not doing this

Steve Beaver

VMTN Forum Moderator

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Like steve said, it's best to make a NEW VMFS volume, because you can't extend the current VMFS volume.

Move your VM's to the new VMFS volume, and delete the old one. Yes, we are aware this could take some time, but the practice of extents (combining multiple VMFS volumes into larger ones) is a REALLY bad idea.

RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can do it with extents as suggested, but discouraged below.

Another option to consider for the future are raw device mapped (RDM) devices.

You present these directly to a particular VM Guest and these can be extended if required. Useful for those large and changing storage requirements.

0 Kudos