VMware Cloud Community
sofakng
Contributor
Contributor

Is the Realtek 8111C/8111DL chipsets supported?

I thought I finally found a whitebox AM2+/AM3 motherboard that was completely supported by ESXi but it looks like it doesn't have ECC memory support (Foxconn A7DA-S).

Anyways, I found a few other potentially working motherboards but they have Realtek NICs. I found a few posts that say the custom Realtek 8111C driver should work though.

Is that true?

What about the other Realtek 8111 chipsets? (eg. 8111DL, etc)

Thanks for any help!

By the way, I've looked at the whitebox HCLs and didn't really find any information so I'm asking here. I hope this isn't a problem!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

There are no realtek NICs on the HCL - they make work, but aren't supported.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Also realtek cards do not work well in a high stress / throughput environment.

You would do well looking putting your money into a real server. There was an earlier thread (I'll look for it and post it later) that came up with a low end Dell server that worked well with ESXi 4 without any messing around.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
sofakng
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking to build a little home/test/development server...

It's primary purpose will be a fileserver (inside ESXi) possibly even running Windows Home Server but I'd also like to fool around with Windows Server 2008 and other such things.

If you can find that Dell server please let me know but I'm guessing it will be much more than using a whitebox Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The link is to a Dell T105 Server http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqdwv1k&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

$479 with 4GB RAM. I don't know what you expected for a whitebox but ?? I would be reasonably sure that HP and IBM would have similar.

Link to the discussion http://communities.vmware.com/thread/222725?start=0&tstart=0

You could try a PM to anyone in that discussion and I think there are also other references in the forums to that server.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

You should be able to get an Intel 1000MT PCI Gigabit NIC on eBay for $15 delivered.

Datto

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody know the answer to the answer to this post?

Realtek 8111C/8111DL chipsets supported ESXi 4.0?

tnt

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hi

You may check this link, you can find a list of driver.

Also checking this one may be help if you can't make your R8111 work.

-

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

Sohrab Kasraeian Fard

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
realdreams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm 8111DL works out of box on ESXi 5u1. I hate those people just saying no because it's not on HCL..... Most people don't need to spend $1000 on a lab if they can get the job done with $200

0 Kudos
johnwilliambyrd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the compatibility info; you just saved me a ton of time.

0 Kudos