VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it possible to migrate a VM with Snapshot ?

We would like to migrate a VM to another VMFS datastore. However, there is a snapshot with that VM.

Is it possible for us to migrate the VM with the snapshot OR we have to commit the snapshot before VM migration ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Tony, you either need to commit or discard a snapshot prior migrating an VM. remember to select the correct option there is no undelete in VMFS and you could be left with at least Egg on your face,or if your backups are not upto scratch a job threating situation

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Tim,

From those threads, it appears that it is not possible to migrate VM with snapshots to another VMFS volume. Is it correct ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From what I have seen snapshots in VMware are very painful. I would say it is possible but it will be more pain then it is worth so in my opinion it would be better apply the snapshot before you migrate the VM.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Tony, you either need to commit or discard a snapshot prior migrating an VM. remember to select the correct option there is no undelete in VMFS and you could be left with at least Egg on your face,or if your backups are not upto scratch a job threating situation

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos