VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it possible to change UUID coption?

Hi,

When we migrate VM, we encouter the UUID change question.

From memory, we have chosen "Always Keep". Is it possible to change the setting so that it will ask for "Create / Always Create / Keep / Always Keep" again ?

Is there any pitfall if we choose "Always Create" ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tony,

You can change this setting my modifying the vmx file. Please refer to the following link which although is related to GSX, the same process can be used for ESX as far as I am aware.

Note: If you want to change the Always Keep or Always Create setting, power off the virtual machine and edit its configuration file (.vmx). Delete the line that contains uuid.action = "create".

Hope this helps.

DK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

to be honest I do not know. I have done both and never have had a problem

0 Kudos
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In vmkfstools there is a option to change the uuid, I think it is setuuid option.

Since, there is a option, I think, we can change it, But then again, I dont know what are the drawbacks.

Thanks

seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tony,

You can change this setting my modifying the vmx file. Please refer to the following link which although is related to GSX, the same process can be used for ESX as far as I am aware.

Note: If you want to change the Always Keep or Always Create setting, power off the virtual machine and edit its configuration file (.vmx). Delete the line that contains uuid.action = "create".

Hope this helps.

DK.

0 Kudos