VMware Cloud Community
Cowtown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is Update 3 for vmware Infrastructure 3 an all inclusive update?

Is Update 3 for vmware Infrastructure 3 an all inclusive update or do I need to install Update 1 and Update 2 first?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe that if you apply update 3 with update manager and then rescan with your baseline you will see fewer missing updates. It should take care of all update 1 and update 2 patches. If you are going to apply update 3 make sure to run all patches that have been released since then as well, there are a couple recent bug fixes from update 3.

Hopefully with that number of hosts you can eliminate down time instead of reducing it, if you have DRS in fully automated mode when you use update manager it will migrate the guests off to other hosts for you while patching.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

All inclusive.

Cowtown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jayolsen,

Thank you for your response. I notice the document refers to using CD media from an ISO image.

I should further clarify what I am planning to do. Our environment is running ESX 3.5. I have installed Update Manager on our VI Centre and it has downloaded all the critical patches and Updates 1, 2, and 3.

My question should have been:

Can I just remediate Update 3 on my hosts with Update Manager or will Update Manager install all previously released crital patches, Update 1 & 2 when I select to remediate Update 3?

Or do I need to select all previous patches and Updates 1, 2, & 3 in order to get to ESX 3.5 Update 3 level?

Our environment currently has 14 hosts with another 15 to be added and would like to determine time lines on how long Update Manager will take to remediate the hosts. I also need to use this timing to inform our clients as to any potential outages.

My hosts are in clusters using DRS so the goal is to remediate one host at a time to minimize any outages.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe that if you apply update 3 with update manager and then rescan with your baseline you will see fewer missing updates. It should take care of all update 1 and update 2 patches. If you are going to apply update 3 make sure to run all patches that have been released since then as well, there are a couple recent bug fixes from update 3.

Hopefully with that number of hosts you can eliminate down time instead of reducing it, if you have DRS in fully automated mode when you use update manager it will migrate the guests off to other hosts for you while patching.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to VMware ESX 3.5 forum.

Yes Update 3 is inclusive. To get everything up to the date of U3, you just apply U3. There are 2 sets of patches that are available that came out after U3.

It is best to use VUM but not necessary. If you install U3, VUM may still say U1 and U2 are not applied. Do not worry about that, just remediate once more and it will fix the db but do nothing on your host.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
Cowtown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Our DRS is fully automated so it should work as you have described.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
Cowtown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. Having two replies with the same comments makes me feel more comfortable with VUM.

We have not used this product before so I want to ensure my theories were correct.

Thanks,

0 Kudos