VMware Cloud Community
andy_eli
Contributor
Contributor

Is ESX 3.0/3.1 supports HP DL380 G5 Quad-Core Intel-base chip?

I would to ask if ESX3.0/3.1 can support or has a driver for HP DL380 G5 Quad-core intel-base chip. Pls help! Cause we have already purchased the hardware and i'm afraid that it won't work since it is not listed from vmware nor HP website. I believe the Quad-core chips from dell and IBM similar to HP has already a driver or support software.

Please also explain on the licensing policy as per-2 processor since by physical setup the HP DL380 G5 has only two processor slots but can accommodate quad-core processors?

best regards,

andy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm sure the hardware will be supported under 3.0.1 shortly. VMware makes vendors go through a rigorous self certification process, so it's just a matter of time. You may want to talk to your HP sales rep about getting confirmation that all will be well, they can do that!

As for licensing, the answer is also simple: it's done per socket up to 4 cores. So all you'll need is a 2 CPU license.

-Steve
0 Kudos
andy_eli
Contributor
Contributor

Can you give an estimated time when it will be released? What is the drawback if we install the software even it is not fully tested in the machine? What would then be our temporarily solution during this waiting period?

Thanks for the advise and assistance

0 Kudos
adamwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 360G5 is listed on the HLC as supporting the 5300 series chips, I would guess the 380 would be just around the corner.

I currently have plans to be using 380G5s as well, I have a meeting with HP next week and will be asking them when they will be getting them on the HCL.

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if you install esx server on an unsupported system and you got no problems, everything is fine.

But if you got any problems or issues - you won't get any support by vmware because you´ve used an unsupported system.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
arska999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

We are using HP Dl 380 G5 with 2 X QUADCORE CPU:s. System have some overheating problems but otherwise it works fine

0 Kudos
adamwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
andy_eli
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, I was not able to reply to all of you immediately. But thank you again for that information. Currently, we are now purchasing the said model base from HP Dubai/Europe promo with virtual center and virtual machines software package. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos