VMware Cloud Community
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Inventory of Virtual Machines!!

Hey Folks,

Is there any way through which I can get a complete inventory of my ESX Server!!

Getting Report option only gives inventory related to ESX server and how many VM's are hosted in that server.

However can we get a cascade inventory report along inside this inventory for all of the VMs i.e. What is processor allocated to it, what is the memory allocated to it, storage space etc.

Anybody have idean on this??

If there is no such tool vmware should take it up to get the feature incorporated Smiley Happy with a feature pack to Virtual Center

Regards,

Pintu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Pintu

Excellent on the Veem Tool. If you are happy that the question is answered please do not forget to mark it as answered and award points

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points

View solution in original post

13 Replies
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Pintu

Here are a couple of suggestions

http://veeam.com/vmware-esx-reporting.html

While there is nothing on there yet keep an eye on http://vm4all.com/ as a place where all cool VMware Tools are located.

Leonard...

-

alefesta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if it answer to your question but did you try with "export list" in NODE>Virtual Machines>(add all the field you need)-->Export List.

It will generate an html as the on I've attached here.

Alex

0 Kudos
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Veem Reporting tool is very good. Just tried the trial version.

thinking to get the commercial product for this.

lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Pintu

Excellent on the Veem Tool. If you are happy that the question is answered please do not forget to mark it as answered and award points

Leonard...

-

jt30605
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do it the old fashioned way, SQL query against the Virtual Center database.

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jt can you share your querys I'm terible on writing scripts and such but If I saw an example if would help me write my own.. Or if you can point me to the right direction..

Thanks

Rene

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yeah I've use the Veeam Reporting tool. Very nice and should work with what you want in detail and more.

Definitely would be interested as well with the queries to the SQL Database JT?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dont have that much expertise in SQL. May be I have to ask some of my coleagues who work with SQL on day to day basis Smiley Sad

I dont mind to share my trial Trial Veem reports!!

You may get some idea how to create a script from those reports... let me pull out them... I will upload it over here!!

0 Kudos
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attatched Doc report

0 Kudos
jt30605
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rene,

Nothing fancy here. I used the query below to pull a list of all VMs, the amount of memory, and the amount of disk space allocated to each for my manager yesterday. You could easily add to it to pull # of vCPUs, Nics, etc... If you only have one datacenter (or if you want to pull for all datacenters) then delete the "and datacenter_id = 2" line. If you have multiple datacenters and want to pull for a specific one, look up the ID in the VPX_VM table at the Datacenter_ID field and replace the 2 in my query with the appropriate value. Keep in mind that if you have more than one drive for a VM then you will get multiple lines back for that VM due to the join. SQL is just the natural way for me to pull this type of info because I used it very heavily over the last 3 years.

select DNS_Name, MEM_Size_MB,b.Path as Logical_Disk, Round((((cast(b.capacity as numeric)/1024)/1024)/1024),1) as Disk_Size_GB

from vpx_vm a

join vpx_guest_disk b on a.id = b.vm_id

where a.Is_template = 0

and Datacenter_id = 2

order by DNS_Name, path

jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Pintu27 -

My company uses the VEEAM tool and find it very useful. We have incorporated it into our operations that if a change is made to the virtual infrastructure we rerun the tool to update documentation. I find the visio drawing component to be the best part of the tool as I am horrible at visio.

Regards,

jamieorth

pintu27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Guys;

Veem is the solution for this requriement!!

However I will request to JT if he can post proper scripts for SQL will be handy for all of us!!

I am closing this thread and giving full mark to lholling

Cheers!!

jt30605
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pintu,

Let me know what you need in addition to the SQL query I posted above and I'll add to it.

Jaime

0 Kudos