VMware Cloud Community
GDillon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel X5570 - not quad-core?

We just installed a Dell M610 blade with 2 Intel X5570 (Gainestown/Nehalem) CPUs. We enabled hyperthreading and installed ESX 3.5 Update 4. I noticed that in the VI client summary view of the host it shows 2 sockets and only 2 cores per socket with HT enabled = 8 logical processors. Based on the peak performace with VMs running I have foudn that I only get 4 cores worth of performance out of the system - 4 * 2.925 GHz = 11700 MHz. What I don't understand is -- isn't a X5570 processor supposed to be quad-core? Shouldn't I see 16 logical processors? Does vSphere show more cores than 3.5 on this processor?

-GDillon

-GDillon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dillon, check the BIOS, there is a setting in the for disabling two of the cores per CPU.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One ing to keep in mind with ESX 3.5 you can only assign 4 vCPUs to a virtual machines which means you will only get 4 logical CPUs worth of processing power - if you want more than 4 vCOUs you will need toupgrade to vSphere ENterprise Plus where you can assign 8 vCPUs to a VM providing 8 Logical CPUs worth of processing power -

Now about the processor only showing 2 cores - that is an issue with the physical processor - are you sure it is a 5570 with quad core? I do not know if Intel made a 5570 with only 2 cores but it is possible - if you have a dual quad core with HT enabled yes you should get 16 logical CPUs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GDillon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This Intel page says its quad core, no exceptions listed. ESX definitely detects it as Intel XEON X5570. It should have 4 cores and 8 threads per socket with HT enabled then. Could it be that ESX 3.5 just can't handle this CPU?

-GDillon

-GDillon
0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dillon, check the BIOS, there is a setting in the for disabling two of the cores per CPU.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks like half of the cores are disabled.

Change CPU settings in BIOS, enable all cores.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
GDillon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. we though we had tried that but apparently it just didn't take the first time. It is reporting 4 cores per socket now.

-GDillon

-GDillon
0 Kudos