VMware Cloud Community
Bitfarmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel Matrix SATA Raid Question

I'm setting up a test system on a Dell Precision 5400 and I have it working just fine but for some reason the server see's my Raid1 configuration as individual drives. If I just pick one of the two disks and create a datastore is it actually being mirrored? Or is the Intel controller not supported in that fashion? I just don't understand how it can see them individually to begin with unless I have something hosed in my bios. I've tried changing the settings, deleting and re-creating the array and ESX still see's the individual drives instead of one.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nzsteve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The Intel matrix RAID isnt a true RAID solution. It uses the software driver to mirror the data rather than hardware RAID controller.

ESX wont have a driver for this, so will just see the 2 disks. You'll see the same thing if you installed RH onto the server.

If this is a production box you probably want to add a true controller to it. If its only test disable the RAID and install to single drives.

steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nzsteve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The Intel matrix RAID isnt a true RAID solution. It uses the software driver to mirror the data rather than hardware RAID controller.

ESX wont have a driver for this, so will just see the 2 disks. You'll see the same thing if you installed RH onto the server.

If this is a production box you probably want to add a true controller to it. If its only test disable the RAID and install to single drives.

steve

0 Kudos
Bitfarmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that makes sense. I just assumed it was hardware raid. Guess I should have purchased SAS drives with a Perc Controller. As long as it's hardware raid does it matter what controller you use or does ESX still need to have a driver for it?

0 Kudos
nzsteve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need a controller that ESX contains a driver for. Check out the list here http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_io_guide.pdf

PERC cards should be fine.

steve

0 Kudos
nzsteve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need a controller that ESX has a driver for, check out the list here http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_io_guide.pdf

PERC cards should be fine.

steve

0 Kudos