VMware Cloud Community
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover

Been trying to find a good answer so far have come up with nothing, have the following env:

2 Hosts each esx 3.5 update 2

each host has 36GB of ram, dual quad core cpus @ 3.1GHZ

Virtual Center 2.5 Update 2

Two total VM's running

One primary service console, one backup service console on a different network.

For now I am just testing HA as if I only had one service console, meaning I have not specified an isolation address for the second one. When i down the interface where the primary service console resides, I get the message:

Insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover

I have checked DNS, everything appears to be fine, I have both fully qualified and shortname in hosts file, name is only 23 characters long

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover, has nothing to do with network connectivity in most cases. By the time we get this error message the agent has been configured and is working appropriately.

This error usually means that you do not have enough spaces available to power up the VM's based on the failover capacity you have set on the cluster. For example, if you have a failover capacity of 2 set and you have two hosts in the cluster - than you never are going to have appropriate failover capacity.

Another common reason that this error message would appear is if you have reservations on VM's. Try removing any reservations and see if this will stop the error from occuring.

Cheers,

/Jon

0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the followup, I have two 500GB luns, each vm taking up about 12GB each. I have granted access to each lun to each host. Each vm has 0 reservations or limits set on them @ the current time. I found a powershell script someone had written to calculate my HA capacity, and although I dont understand the results fully, it would appear I should be ok:

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't know exactly how that script calculates failover, but to me it looks to be correct from the output. Is there any agent errors on either of the two hosts? I ask because if one of the hosts is not configured correctly and not properly in the cluster, you will also see the insufficient capacity error.

Cheers,

/Jon

0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would you be so kind and point me in the direction of where the logs are located? I am looking in /var/log but dont see a vpxa.log

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The vpxa logs are located in /var/log/vmware/vpx/

Every time a reconfigure is done, you should see the progress for HA in this log.

Cheers,

/Jon

0 Kudos