VMware Cloud Community
dguc
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient disk space on datastore ".

We have a ESX 3.0.1 with a 200 GB locally attached datastore. There is curently 42 GB free on the datastore. Trying to create (with a VI Client 2.0.1) a new virtual machine with a 10 GB disk. When I hit OK on the final screen "Ready to Complete" in the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" I get the error: Insufficient disk space on datastore ".

I can't even make a new virtual machine with 4 GB disk.

Is there somehow a must-be-20%-free-diskspace-on-datastore rule?

Thanks,

Anders

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You have to consider the following. Swap file / Virtual memory will also be put on the VMFS3 volume.

Sarek

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
plaurent49
Contributor
Contributor

Remove any snapshot on your VM, you'll free disk space.

Patrick.

0 Kudos
dguc
Contributor
Contributor

We also have another datastore attached to the ESX. This is just a small 50 GB system datastore we use to keep ISO's and other stuff in. There is 45 GB free on this datastore.

I just did a test on it and created a virtual machine with a 20 GB disk on that store.... No problem there... So I guess It does not have anything to do with the Swap file...

0 Kudos
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You create a vm on a different volume, that means that the swap and memory will be placed on that volume (the smal 50gb volume). The swap and memory will be placed on the same vmfs3 volume as where the machine is placed. So creating a vm on a other volume does not mean that the swap/memory on the other volume could be the problem.

What you could try is to move one of the vm´s to the small volume and then try to create a vm on the old volume

Sarek

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
kapplah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Anders,

we are filling our LUNS up to 20GB of free space - no problem.

As far as i know there is no strict rule for free space on the storage, but I'll prefer to leave about 20GB free (for snapshots and swap space).

Where have you seen that the storage has 50GB left? Some times VC lies ... use the console to see if there's really 50GB free

cu,

Alex

0 Kudos
seamus19
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error message.

I found out it had to do with the Block size of the datastore. When you originally add storage to the HOSTs the default block stize is 1 mg. With 1mg Block size you can only create max size of 2e6GB disk size.. With 2mg its a max size of 5132gb, with 4 mb max size of 1024gb, with 8mb max size of 2048gb. The only way to reconfigure the Block size is to remove the datastore and then readd storage. During the installation of the new datastore you can change the block size.

0 Kudos
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can do a bunch of stuff to get around this, like:

1) Provision another LUN

2) Extend the VMFS (via extents)

3) Adjust your Memory so the SWAP file will fit in the Datastore.

I'm not a big fan of "2" (for obvious reasons) or "3" (no foresight for housekeeping ie. Snapshots, et all) which leads us back to "1".

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

what should the snapshot files look like? What are their extensions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

delta.vmdk are the extensions. check your system from the commandline with: find /vmfs/volumes/ -iname "*delta.vmdk"

0 Kudos