Insufficient capacity in cluster xxx to satisfy resource configuration in xxx

any idea?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

1. Are you using reservation for VMs resources (CPU, Memory...). If so, check if the amount of reserved resource is less that what is available on the cluster.

2. If you have configure the cluster to "Adminission Control" is a normal reaction of you cluster. To correct this disable this option or check the way as you manage resource on the VI environment.

3. I recommend you this presentation

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You set your resource pools to a higher configuration than the cluster can support. did you recently change a resource pool or make changes to something else recently.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I have a rp nested withing another one. on the parent rp, I have shares set to normal, expandable reservation and unlimited all checked for both cpu and memory.

then for the child rp, I have two exchange servers in there set shares to high, expandable and unlimited all checked.

not sure where else to look

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Is HA turned on? If it is, it needs sufficient resources from each server to keep a reserve equal the the size of one server.

so if you have 1 server with 2G RAM and 4000 CPU, in a cluster of 3 servers you need the same amount in reserve for the cluster.

Turn HA off, and see if the error message goes away, if it does, then the problem is the cluster cannot satisfy enough resource to support the cluster if one of your servers happens to fail.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Its a test env. I have 1 cluster, 2 hosts

I split the recources into half into 2 rps.

then have a few vms running between each rp.

I rebooted one host and the warning is still there

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Hi

I turned off HA and the warning is gone. what does this mean? I am stumped

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

1. Open the cluster configuration setting

2. On the left pane, select "VMware HA"

3. On admission Control select : "Allow virtual machines to be powered on even if they violate... "

Remember that this option is not recommanded because if HA append you will need more ressource that the remaining host on the environment can take... The best way on your case is to modify the ressource allocation for your VMs and so one host can accomodate all VMs.

Can you give us the configuration of your cluster (size, ressource pool, nm of VMs...)

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

HA means it allows the cluster to continue even if you lose one server completely.

HA needs a reserve space from ALL the ESX hosts so in case 1 server goes down, the cluster needs to "absorb" those VM's on that ESX host in order to distribute them among the rest of the cluster.

It's like a "RAID" of ESX servers. You can lose one (or more depending on how many HA you have setup) and still continue to function, so now you need more ESX servers to support your cluster, because if you turn HA back on the warning will come back, because you don't have enough left over resources to put those other VM's if you lose one of your ESX servers.

How many ESX servers do you have in the cluster, and what is the basic configuration?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I have 2 ESX host right now with about 15vms total. I am not sure if i down one esx host the other one will pick up 7-8 more vms

I dont think it will handle it.

0 Kudos