VMware Cloud Community
fredz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing lynx in console

I'd like to install lynx (or links) in the ESX console. Is this a bad idea? If not, where do I get the appropriate rpm (what system/version do I choose)? I tried compiling the tar gz, but it doesn't find ncurses. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

when you install esXpress, it installs lynx with it as well as some other useful tools. Thats what I usually do whether or not i use express daily for backups, its still good to have around if I need a quick full backup.

Message was edited by:

conradsia

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Have a look to that... but personnaly I thing that is a bad idea.

"In general, VMware recommends that users avoid running third-party software in the VMware ESX Server service console. Clear exceptions to this policy are software packages explicitly identified in ESX Server compatibility guides."

www.vmware.com/pdf/esx_3p_scvcons.pdf

conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

when you install esXpress, it installs lynx with it as well as some other useful tools. Thats what I usually do whether or not i use express daily for backups, its still good to have around if I need a quick full backup.

Message was edited by:

conradsia

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

esxpress does have a lot of nice utilities built into it. Once cool one is phdcat which is any easy way to test read/write disk speeds.

This is a recent post showing how it works.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=621817

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
fredz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice tool, but I "applied" to download it a few days ago and it is still "pending". Has someone got a direct download link?

0 Kudos
kharbin
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi fredz,

Found you on the download page, you are approved now.

Ken

www.esXpress.com

0 Kudos