VMware Cloud Community
strich55
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing a physical processor after ESX 3.5 initial install

Hi,

quick and simple question : if I install ESX 3.5 on a host with a single processor, will I be able to add a second physical processor on that host without having to re-install ESX?

second quick and simple question : if I install ESX 3.5 on a host and later on, I install a scsi card for a tape, will that scsi card be automatically detected when the machine is restarted?

Thank you

Stephane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Both questions can be answered with Yes.

as long as your scsi card is on the HCL of VMware there should be no problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Both questions can be answered with Yes.

as long as your scsi card is on the HCL of VMware there should be no problems.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Be careful if installing PCI cards after the initial installation. If your device numbers change based on PCI bus scan order, you may lose the ability to talk to one or more of your existing devices. For example, if you install your new SCSI controller in a PCI slot that gets scanned before your existing SCSI controller (vmhba0, for example) then the new controller will become vmhba0 and your original one will become vmhba1. So...can you add an additional controller at a later date? Absolutely. Just be careful when you do.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos