VMware Cloud Community
RRTSAPM
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VM ESX 3.5 update 4 on X4600 (HELP)

Greeting,

I'm trying to install VM 3.5 upd 4 on an Sun Fire X4600. I've downloaded the ISO and then burn it to a CD-R and DVD-RW using Roxio Creator DE (DATA) with the option TAO, MODE 1, ISO+JOLIET. The ISO image is esx_3.5.0_Update04-153875.iso. The boot process with the bootable CD but after the first couple of prompts, i get to the prompt for VM server 3 software and I select LOCAL CDROM. The message comes back "The VMware ESX Server 3 CD was not Found". The iso image is what it's looking for correct? Should there be anything else on this CD? Should it be expanded? Should the image directory be on the root of the CD? I'm at a LOST for why it's not being seen! This is a fresh install. And yes I'm a rookie to installing VM ware.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert

Couple of options:

1) Make sure the download came down correctly -- use MD5DEEP (http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/) to check the MD5 sum against what VMware publishes. Checking the MD5 sum is the only way you can be sure the download came down correctly.

2) Is your CDROM/DVD drive a SATA drive? If so, see if you can change the SATA controller in your System BIOS to be ACHI (or if it's already ACHI, change it to IDE mode) and reboot to the CD again.

3) You should get a choice of boot modes when you boot from CD -- just choose text mode for the boot type (rather than graphical install mode) and hit enter. Then answer the on-screen questions.

Datto

Changed link to md5deep.

RRTSAPM
Contributor
Contributor

Couple of options:

1) Make sure the download came down correctly -- use MD5DEEP (http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/) to check the MD5 sum against what VMware publishes. Checking the MD5 sum is the only way you can be sure the download came down correctly.

• DOWNLOAD has been verified

2) Is your CDROM/DVD drive a SATA drive? If so, see if you can change the SATA controller in your System BIOS to be ACHI (or if it's already ACHI, change it to IDE mode) and reboot to the CD again.

• IDE cdrom (ATAPI)

3) You should get a choice of boot modes when you boot from CD -- just choose text mode for the boot type (rather than graphical install mode) and hit enter. Then answer the on-screen questions.

• esx text mode was enter

Datto

Changed link to md5deep.

Still running into the problem the ISO is not being seen when ask "VMware server 3 cd not found"

0 Kudos
RRTSAPM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Datto for all your support on this problem. It came down to the BURNING software was not creating the correct disk for installation.

0 Kudos