VMware Cloud Community
zorong
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESX3 host-based license without Virtual Infrastructure Client

Hi,

what is the process to install a host-based license file (into /etc/vmware/vmware.lic, I presume) \*WITHOUT* the VC? I have scp'd it in place and rebooted the ESX server, but I still get "VMControl error -999: Unknown error: SoapError: ServerFaultCode(1515) : (There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation.)" whenever I try to start a VM.

I have seen http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=488554 which has been marked "answered" for reasons that are beyond me ...

Thanks,

-Z.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It might be a permissions issue from the file copy to the server. Does the output of ls -l vmware.lic match the below?

\[root@ESX02 vmware]# ls -l vmware.lic

-rw-rr 1 root root 1583 Oct 24 2006 vmware.lic

0 Kudos
zorong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, Dave. Yes, it does match:

\[root@vmserver vmware]# ls -la vmware.lic

-rw-rr 1 root root 1565 May 1 19:09 vmware.lic

I obtained this license file via direct download from the vmware site. Does VC perform any other operations when it uploads the file?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With the VI client you also can change the license type (i.e not licensed to ESX starter or standard).

What does the file license.cfg in the same directory look like? If you can change the MODE and EDITION lines that may be enough to get you going. The STATE line is unique so hopefully that may get generated for you if you restart the host.

MODE=file

SERVER=

FEATURES=

EDITION=esxFull

STATE=AQDyggAAADwvZH16d5UunQLAADumrgGUhlbgJ/0iFa9/rgek+NX4xvo9XlunjERVvMYlccy$

0 Kudos
zorong
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent Dave, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos