VMware Cloud Community
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installin VM W2k3 x64 R2 faill coz cpu not x64 compatible

Hello Guys,

I have a realy nice running ESX 3.5 here.

With an Intel S5000 PSL MB and 2 Xeon QuadCore CPUs and 16 GB of Memory.

But i cant install on my ESX an x64 Server system, havent tried to install x64 XP but i guess it will be the same.

Allready in the kickoff of the installation i got told of that i should pc use x64 CPUs to install that type of os.

I have to admit, that i enabeld the VT funtion after i have installed the esx server, just not thought about it.

Also could it be that i cant install it, coz i open the VI Client from a x86 W2k3 host?

Plz help me a bit lost here now and cant see the end

Thx

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The client PC where VI is running won't be an issue. You won't have to reinstall ESX after you enable Intel VT, but it would be a good idea to check to see if the setting was saved correctly in the BIOS. What output do you get for

esxcfg-info | grep "VT"

sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

i will strait go down and check it.... hang on....

... when i type it i got no info to vt (tryed it with an other query and i got answers)

what now???

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Did you capatalize VT?

You should see this and the 3 indicates that VT is enabled. One other question, when you created the VM did you select Windows x64 as the Os type?

# esxcfg-info | grep "VT"

|----VT Support............................................3

#

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i did

root@esx01 esxcfg-info | grep "VT"

root@esx01

i tryed to find the entry VT in the list when i just type esxcfg-info | grep but the list is just to lang.

i validated my input wit annother string witch gave me back some infos.

I have another esx here same as the esx01 i will activate there now to VT and test it there.

Any other idea why i cant see that entry?

Plz dont tell me that i have to reinstall, all my HA and SAN is config on there now already, hell of a work was it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sonic, are you selecting the correct guest operating system when you're creating the VM? During VM creation (i.e. when you specify memory size, location, number of CPUs, etc.), you need to select "Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64-bit)".

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeah,

also tryed it with the unlocical way over x86

but i will do it again for u gues and create a new vm and try to install. hang on...

... nope again the black screen telling me that this installation is x64 and my cpus not

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

-> responding to my self lol

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as well not my second esx,

no info to VT in the esxcfg-info....

like that entry doesnt exsist

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you can take a host offline for bit, it would be worth booting with this ISO image to check the CPU compatability with x64 VMs. Perhaps the MB BIOS needs an upgrade? http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/CPU_Compatibility-64557.zip

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no problem the server is not in a produktive area at the moment... i check it and come back to u

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like the error message Sonic is getting is generated by Windows Setup, not by ESX. This is what led me to believe that it's the wrong OS type that has been selected, since ESX will not allow you to even power up a 64-bit VM without VT enabled.

Sonic, in addition to the CPU tests, can you also please provide the exact text of the error message you receive? Also, if you can tell us whether the error message happens after you've powered on the virtual machine or when you try to power it up, that would be most useful.

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you r right, the message comes from the installer of the windows server system.

i get the text in a min.

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

okey runed ur tool and it says under

support x64 Lonmodeg: Yes

support x64 VmWare: No (May Enable in Bios)

have phoned up Intel to see if i made a misstake, but there r no more options to set up.

as well im able to install straid an x64 OS to that system (guess its called then the longmode, or not?)

this MB is an board from the vmware refernce list, should work or not?

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

its tells me: now from german to eng:

You have tryed to load an x64 OS. This CPU is not kmpatible to use the x64 mode.

Install an 32bit-OS x86.

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have a look to the dok i found in another thread, my cpus should work, or do i read it wrong

page2 , Intel Xeon 5345

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

found it!!!!

Very simpel in the end but you brought me on trak with that tool.

If u enable in the Bios the VT function reboot start the esx shut it down, remote all power wires and start start.

then the tool shows also yes to x64 support vm!

funny isnt it?

My konfig now for all the Others with that problem

Intel S5000 PSLRomb Bios 81

Virtual Tec. Enable

But the esxcfg-info | greb "VM" still shows nothing.

Maybe changend in the version 3.5????

THX THX THX!!

Sonic!

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very nice comunity!

0 Kudos