VMware Cloud Community
Whiskyman
Contributor
Contributor

Installation hangs

I wonder if anyone had a problem with installation ESX 3.x on Proliant ML 570 G2 (4x Xeon 3 and 4 Gb RAM).

A'm relatively new to this.

When I use bootable CD for installation averything hangs (black screen) after brief showing of loading module aic7xxxx.

What would be correct path of actions.

Server can be installed with Windows 2003 (just tried), so I presume that HW is working ok.

Any ideas?

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try an media check!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
Whiskyman
Contributor
Contributor

Tryed two ESX versions (3.0.2 and 3.5) and both have same issue even though they are on two different media.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That is strage the hardware is fully supported by vmware.

HP

ProLiant ML570 G2\

Intel Xeon MP\

Intel Xeon MP (Cranford/Potomac) Series

ESX 3.5 U4\, ESX 3.5 U3\, ESX 3.5 U2\, ESX 3.5 U1\, ESX 3.5\, ESX 3.0.3\, ESX 3.0.2 U1\, ESX 3.0.2\, ESX 3.0.1\, ESX 3.0\

But it seems that there is a problem with the SCSI driver!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try removing 2GB RAM leaving 2GB in machine. If it still doesn't work, try switching the RAM around.

Also try turning off CPU cores in the BIOS knocking it down to 1CPU for the install. You can bring the others back online after its up and running. I seem to recall someone having an issue similar to this that was fixed by this method.

I've had some VM linux appliances that would not install unless I set the v-ram to 256mb. Once the virtual machine was running I could go back and give it as much RAM as I wanted. For whatever reason I could never get that appliance to install until I figured that out.

Other than that it seems to not like the RAID card. 😕

Whiskyman
Contributor
Contributor

I have tryed everything suggested. Nothing works, it must bi some BIOS setting or similar, allthough I cant find the setting. Server type is fully supported by support matrics. Anyway I installed Win 2008 with VMWare server.

I still awarded both of you helpfull answer for trying to help. THX

0 Kudos