VMware Cloud Community
ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installation Error, doesnt appear vmkcore and vmfs3

Hi people,

Trying to install 3.5 in a SATA hard drive, the error is that there is no option to select to mount a vmkcore or vmfs3 filesystem, any idea?, is for the SATA controller? (I thought....)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you installed did you select the recommended partition table? It would have created 6 partitions including a vmkcore partition and VMFS partition -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried both, automatic (then appears a lot of errors on console about the vmkcore...), and the manual partition (the vmkcore and vmfs3 options are missing in the menu...)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you confirmed that Vmware supports the equipment in you ESX server form the HCL?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

AFAIK you can not install vmfs and vmkcore partitions on SATA drives

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

Coming soon to a store near you!

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can only install vmfs3 and vmkcore partitions on SATA disks if you use some specific SATA raid controllers, but this is not supported.

An other option is to connect to an iSCSI target. because now you cannot use your local storage for vmfs3..

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Another unsupported option is the following.

purchase a supported SCSI raid controller and buy a converter cable from SCSI to SATA

0 Kudos